Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Send a message via MSN to ChazB Send a message via Skype™ to ChazB
Default Back to Square One; Looking For Advice - 06-09-2009, 03:20 PM

So Dell decided to cancel my Mini 9 order and not tell me. It's bad enough that I ordered it in March, had to cancel it last month and reorder it because of a SNAFU by Dell, and that they have never once contacted me or been forthcoming with information, but now; on the day it was to be delivered, I log in to the site and get an error. Call in to Customer Support and I'm told the Mini 9 is no longer available, my order was canceled a week ago without them contacting me, and I'm pretty much SOL as far as getting my Mini 9 goes.

I've already bought and received accessories for it, but now I have to choose a new laptop. So here it is; what should I get? What is the best bang for my buck and best/easiest to upgrade? Mini 10, 10v, or 12? Any and all advice is welcome.

| Dell Mini 10 | Product Red Edition | 1.6GHz | 1.3MP | 160GB SATA HDD | Bluetooth | 802.11n | Windows 7 Ultimate |
| Dell Mini 10v | Obsidian Black | 1.6GHz | 2GB Kingston HyperX | 1.3MP | 160GB SATA HDD | Bluetooth | 802.11n | Windows 7 Ultimate |

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines. - Unknown

Before Elvis, there was nothing. - John Lennon
  (#2) Old

Default 06-09-2009, 04:44 PM

why not buy a mini 9 on ebay, or the sale forum here?
  (#3) Old

Default 06-09-2009, 04:54 PM

Or why not buy a Vostro A90. Same laptop just in all black. Put a cool case or skin on it and you are set. (Plus I'm betting the wrist rest won't get as dirty as the silver.) - Vostro A90 on Dell.com

Another option is the Dell Outlet. I bought my Mini refurbished and it's like new. There appear to be about 42 of them on the outlet at the moment. Plus, since they are already built, they usually get to you in less than a week. - Mini 9 on Dell.com/outlet

The 10s and 12s are either not upgradeable or such a pain that it's not worth it. And if you are planning to Hackint0sh your machine, there's really no other choice.
  (#4) Old
Retired Mini user

Default 06-09-2009, 05:22 PM

This is one of those cases that I would write a nasty letter and address it to the "michael_dell@dell.com" address. Obviously he doesn't read them, but someone higher up does and usually you get results.

Dell wanted to sell you a bunch of accessories with your new PC, and when you choose to buy them they send them to you well before the actual computer ever ships. Then they cancel it the actual PC? I'd be steamed. They should offer to take it all back and refund your money.

Getting an iPad
  (#5) Old
Administrator

Default 06-09-2009, 05:53 PM

The 10v is the next best alternative. It is "hackintoshable" and is somewhat upgradeable.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#6) Old
Super Moderator

Default 06-09-2009, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfKeeper View Post
This is one of those cases that I would write a nasty letter and address it to the "michael_dell@dell.com" address. Obviously he doesn't read them, but someone higher up does and usually you get results.

Dell wanted to sell you a bunch of accessories with your new PC, and when you choose to buy them they send them to you well before the actual computer ever ships. Then they cancel it the actual PC? I'd be steamed. They should offer to take it all back and refund your money.
I would definitely shoot an email to the michael_dell@dell.com address, although yeah, he very likely doesn't read them. I know the one time I used it I did get results as well.

As far as the accessories, if you brought them from Dell, mention it in the email. Otherwise, eBay is your friend, or the For Sale forum here.

Alienware M11xR2 - Core i5 1.06 - 4 GB - 250 GB HD

Triple Boot Guide - 10v RAM Upgrade Videos - mechdrew's OSX guides
  (#7) Old

Default 06-09-2009, 07:01 PM

email, and dell outlet
  (#8) Old

Default 06-09-2009, 08:40 PM

I would get one from the dell outlet Dell Outlet - Refurbished Computers - Refurbished Laptops - Refurbished PCs or get a A90 as it's really the same animal in different clothing.

Dell Mini 9 - 2gb RAM - 32gb RunCore - OS X 10.5.7
Please use my link to sign up for your FREE 2GB DropBox
https://www.getdropbox.com/referrals/NTEyNjcwNDQ5
  (#9) Old

Default 06-09-2009, 10:02 PM

I am going to echo all of the posts here and direct you towards the outlet for a Mini 9. I was a little nervous about ordering a refurbished computer, but after gawking out the outrageous wait times for a new one, and reading all of the success stories here, I bit the bullet and couldn't have been happier.

I got roughly $100 off of the computer I would have ordered anyway, and she didn't have a scratch. It took me about a week to receive it.

But! I would definitely put in a complaint... That is ridiculous.
  (#10) Old

Default 06-10-2009, 01:33 AM

paid for the fastest shipping, got my outlet today- ordered it on sunday?....was quick, havent had time to mess with it, but looks good- im sure its fine.

« Display is messed up after booting | New User and Question »