Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default New User and Question - 06-04-2009, 04:38 PM

Hey guys, I'm new here and I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Mike, and I live in Las Vegas, NV, USA. I've been looking at getting a mini9 for a while now, and am a little discouraged that it is discontinued. I was wondering, what has your guys experience been buying "Factory Refurbished" from the Dell Outlet? There seems to be a few mini9's on there and I was wondering if its worth buying mine that way.

Thanks

Mike
  (#2) Old
Guru

Default 06-04-2009, 04:47 PM

I've bought a couple computers from the Outlet, including two Mini 9's, and I've haven't had a problem yet.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old

Default 06-04-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoisufnoC View Post
Hey guys, I'm new here and I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Mike, and I live in Las Vegas, NV, USA. I've been looking at getting a mini9 for a while now, and am a little discouraged that it is discontinued. I was wondering, what has your guys experience been buying "Factory Refurbished" from the Dell Outlet? There seems to be a few mini9's on there and I was wondering if its worth buying mine that way.

Thanks

Mike
Keep in mind, Factory Refurbished means a few different things at the site. You can often find some that are "Previously Ordered New" that are just as good as if you HAD bought it brand new. Certified Refurbished could be just as reliable though. Regardless, you have the full warranty on it and could even upgrade it to three years if you want / like.

Best advantage to buying Outlet is getting it shipped right away to you. Disadvantage is the selection. Right now only one Previously Ordered New Mini 9 (of the 18 I spied).

I am rather biased toward the Vostro A90's though ... 12 of those are currently ripe for the taking on the Business side of the Outlet. ALL of them were Previously Ordered New.

Good Luck on whatever you decide!

Cheers!

Kevin
  (#4) Old

Thumbs up 06-04-2009, 06:44 PM

I have a Mini 9 purchased from the Outlet with XP. I upgraded the memory to 2gb, attached wireless kbd, mouse, printer, 19' monitor and use it as my desktop. Had it for over a month now with no problems. Run it at least 8 hours per day.
  (#5) Old

Default 06-04-2009, 10:30 PM

I also canceled my new A90 and went with a Alpine White Mini from the outlet. I saved enough to make my 32g runcore purchase painless.

I've bought a few things from Delll and other places and have had positive experiences.

Also, don't forget you get the Dell 1 year warranty, so if anything does go wrong they will fix it.

Regards
  (#6) Old

Default 06-05-2009, 02:04 AM

Sounds good. I'm thinking of picking up a referb pink mini9 for my girlfriend and an A90 for myself
  (#7) Old

Default 06-08-2009, 05:50 AM

You'll be happy with the Outlet purchase. I've bought 3 units so far for my family and no problems at all (two running XP and one OSX). As long as you're comfortable tinkering with computers, outlet purchases should pose no issues to you

Dell Mini 9 | Mac OS X 10.5.7 | 2 GB RAM | RunCore 64
BIOS A05 | 16 GB SD | USB Legacy Mode: OFF | BT |DellEFI 1.2a5 | 1.3mp WC
  (#8) Old

Default 06-11-2009, 05:22 AM

i ended up buying 2 new A90's, at the time i was ready to pull the trigger there were none in the outlet store.
  (#9) Old

Default 06-11-2009, 05:45 AM

of course now there's 130 mini9's available, oh well.

« Back to Square One; Looking For Advice | 16G SSD is enough for dual-boot XPH/OSX »