Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default got my Mini 9 today with Ubuntu, need some direction - 06-03-2009, 03:03 AM

I received my new Mini 9 today with Ubuntu 8.04. Everything works fine except the wireless connection to the internet (wired works fine).

Is a faulty wireless card a known issue? Can anybody help steer me in the right direction to get this fixed? I'm usually a DIYer, but I'm stuck, and I've only had this thing for a few hours.

Would updating to 9.04 help? Thanks in advance. I'm already contemplating sending this thing back... (maybe I just need some sleep).
  (#2) Old

Default 06-03-2009, 04:01 AM

OK, so the wireless works when I get on a nearby unencrypted network. I want to get on my home network though and I'm having trouble.

I have COX cable internet and use a Motorola SBG900 wireless router. I cannot connect to my network in either 802.11b/g or 802.11g enhanced mode. I'd rather keep it in enhanced mode because I think I get better Hi-def Netflix streaming this way.

Could this be a wireless card driver issue? I'm totally new to Linux/Ubuntu. How do I update the drivers? I'll be doing some searching myself too. Thanks.
  (#3) Old

Send a message via AIM to Kid Poker
Default 06-03-2009, 05:43 AM

Are you sure your network SSID isn't hidden? That could be one of the problems. If you want to update first, you can plug in the LAN and go to the settings menu and select update manager.
  (#4) Old

Default 06-03-2009, 12:28 PM

How did you get Netflix streaming to work in Ubuntu? Just curious...

I have never had wireless issues on my Mini 9 with either Ubuntu 8.04 or 9.04, sorry I can't help you there.
  (#5) Old

Default 06-03-2009, 02:27 PM

Kid Poker, My SSID is in in plain view. I just can't connect to it after repeated password attempts. I keep getting prompted to enter it over and over.

snowpine, Sorry I meant I wanted to keep my enhanced 802.11g connection for my XBOX, which does the HD Netflix streaming. I should have been more specific.

I'm going to try 9.04 this afternoon...
  (#6) Old

Default 06-03-2009, 02:46 PM

Ahhh - that's the issue - the "in pllain sight but the password doesn't work" is more definitive of a problem.

Try changing your encryption type on the wireless router. I can't recall off the top of my head what they are named, but there are two WPA encryption types, try using the one you are not currently using.

Bringing you quality hand made fitted sleeves for the Mini 9 since January
http://shop.psyopper.com
  (#7) Old

Default 06-03-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyopper View Post
Ahhh - that's the issue - the "in pllain sight but the password doesn't work" is more definitive of a problem.

Try changing your encryption type on the wireless router. I can't recall off the top of my head what they are named, but there are two WPA encryption types, try using the one you are not currently using.
Thanks. I was actually thinking of doing that on the way to work this morning. I use WEP, but should use better encryption. I've just been too lazy to update all 4 computers, XBOX 360, Wii, iPhones, iPod Touch, and Airport Express. I might have to do just that just to get my Mini up an running.
  (#8) Old
Guru

Default 06-03-2009, 05:26 PM

Are you entering a passphrase to try to access your wireless network (i.e. "telekaster1") or a hexadecimal key (i.e. "F54B65...")? If you're using a phrase, try getting the underlying hex. key from your router's config page and then using the hex. key directly.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#9) Old

Default 06-03-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflex View Post
Are you entering a passphrase to try to access your wireless network (i.e. "telekaster1") or a hexadecimal key (i.e. "F54B65...")? If you're using a phrase, try getting the underlying hex. key from your router's config page and then using the hex. key directly.
I'm trying to use an all-numeric 10 digit WEP key. I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about but I have an idea. I'll check my router's config page later tonight.

My Mini let's me enter (for WEP), a passphrase, a hexidecimal key, or ascii (I think that's right). I don't think any of those are right for a 10-digit numerical key. Any suggestions? Thanks. I'll try the above for sure...
  (#10) Old

Default 06-03-2009, 06:01 PM

It really depends on what you have your router set to..

Why don't you disable all security on your router first to verify you can access it with NO security set up.

Then, try WEP, see if you can attach... Then try Different WPA protocols and do the same, see if you can attach to your wireless network. Make sure you have your SSID set to broadcast (although not really needed, it will make the troubleshooting steps easier).

I am using WEP with no issues at all.

hth

Dell Mini 9 - 2gb RAM - 32gb RunCore - OS X 10.5.7
Please use my link to sign up for your FREE 2GB DropBox
https://www.getdropbox.com/referrals/NTEyNjcwNDQ5

« got my mini 9 today...webcam problems already | ...Why hello, nice to meet you... »