Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Vostro A90/Ubuntu Sound and Microphone Issues - 06-02-2009, 10:55 PM

Okay, so I have yet another newbie question/issue that I could use some help with. Like many of you, I got my Vostro A90 a couple of weeks ago (1 GB of RAM, 8 GB SSD, Ubuntu pre-installed). I quickly upgraded from 8.04 to Ubuntu 9.04 using the Dell System ISO that I downloaded online (rather than using the standard 9.04 ISO).

I quickly realized that the sound wasn't working, so I fixed that using the "options snd-hda-intel model=dell" addition.

I was having a terrible time getting Skype to work, but eventually solved that particular issue using the steps outlined here:

Ubuntu on the Dell Mini 9: Skype on The Dell Mini 9

Now, here's my problem... my mic seems to be on all the time. I don't really notice it most of the time, because the volume of the A90 is so low, but when I'm wearing headphones I can hear everything, especially key presses while I'm typing. I also get a noticeable hiss when I have the volume turned up and am using the Vostro's built in speakers (hiss I'm sure can be attributed to the mic).

So, what the heck can I do? I tried muting the Mic Boost and Internal Mic Boost tracks, but whenever I close Volume Control any changes I make to the tracks is undone. Also, it doesn't seem to modify anything while I'm tinkering with things.

For what its worth, my function key volume controls don't seem to work either.

How do I turn off the microphone until I need it?

Thanks!

-------------------

I resolved this issue by doing a fresh install. This was just one of a few issues I was having, so I did a reinstall, and things seem to be doing better now.

Please disregard.

« updating dell mini 9 | trying to restore OSX on Dell Mini 9 »