Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Removing OS X hack from Mini 9 - 06-02-2009, 07:08 PM

I'd like to install Windows 7 on my Mini 9 that has been running OS X for some time. How do I do it because I can no longer boot to an external DVD drive or even a USB drive as it keeps booting OS X
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to mechdrew
Default 06-02-2009, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TintinX View Post
I'd like to install Windows 7 on my Mini 9 that has been running OS X for some time. How do I do it because I can no longer boot to an external DVD drive or even a USB drive as it keeps booting OS X
Turn USB BIOS Legacy Support back on in the BIOS. Then your DVD drive will be available for booting.

Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | XP Home | Windows 7 Home | 2GB RAM | 160GB HDD | BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: ON | USB Wake: ON | BT: None | NBI 0.8.3 Final
http://osx.mechdrew.com - News and Guides for Installing Mac OS X via NetbookInstaller - Now on Twitter

(#3) Old

Default 06-02-2009, 08:27 PM

USB BIOS Legacy Support is enabled. DVD boot is top of the boot list. Turning the machine on and it pauses and spins the DVD but then still loads Darwin boot loader and I'm into OS X
  (#4) Old

Default 06-02-2009, 09:00 PM

Is the disc known to be bootable?

Try another disk or manually hit 0 during POST to bring up the boot menu and select the DVD that way.
  (#5) Old

Default 09-27-2009, 04:48 PM

bump

I'm having thes same problem, except I want to remove Ubuntu and reinstall OSX.
My usb legacy support is on, and the disc is bootable, it's the same disc I used on my friends mini.
I have booted from the external drive on other computers as well so I know that the drive is functioning.
Did Ubuntu override something?
  (#6) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to MoInSTL Send a message via MSN to MoInSTL Send a message via Yahoo to MoInSTL
Default 09-27-2009, 05:49 PM

For OSX info & questions, please go here:
Operating Systems - Mac OS X at MyDellMini

Studio 15 1558| Black Chainlink| i5-520M, |4GB RAM |500 GB HD@7200 |ATI HD 4570, 512K|Backlit|9 Cell|Web Cam|Windows 7 Professional x64
  (#7) Old

Default 09-28-2009, 05:48 AM

this is so strange... I did a little searching (wow I used the search button OMG) I found that for some strange reason a lot of people have been having booting problems, and found on one thread (forgot which one, sorry) that it's a hit and miss situation sometimes... meaning that the mini will sometimes see the drive and sometimes not.

This is what I did... go into the bios and turn OFF legacy, then rebooted FULL power down, and obviously NO usb boot... I went into the bios again and turned legacy on again, and rebooted FULL power down again, and tested it out on all 3 usb ports and it finally saw my drive and booted into my installer, so OP give that a try, it may help.

« super n00b here... vostro coming, and just got hp 110..which one? | What's the best OSX machine I could get ? »