Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Known good DVD/CD external device - 06-01-2009, 02:44 PM

Hello again! I find it so funny, I'm such a stereotype; I've been reading and reading everything on the site, finally took the 'buy' step and now of course questions, questions, questions!

My goal is to put OSX on my A90 when I get it, so I'm preparing. I don't have a mac, so I will be going it via external drive. With that in mind and with the issues surrounding potential external drive reliability in the upgrade, my question is; what external drive do you have that works rock solid and I don't have to worry about that part of the process.

Thanks in advance!!

Jack
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 06-01-2009, 03:29 PM

LG Slim. I don't know that it includes software for OS X but it is otherwise a fine drive without the power problems of some others. You will want to connect it to the USB jack closest to the power socket.

I notice that there is an alternate version claiming to be Mac compatible, so that may also be worth a try. It does include Mac software but should work fine for your purpose.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default 06-02-2009, 12:26 AM

If you search around here you'll probably find a lot of us had problems with the one Dell sells with the Minis. It's made by IO Magic and doesn't get enough power for sustained operations like installing an OS. Dell even has what they call a "reworked" USB cable that they'll send but it doesn't help much.

When used with a "Y" Power adapter it does work okay but I'd shy away from it and go with something like what holmes4 suggested.

Tom
XPS 420|XPS 420|M1330: Windows 7 x64, Windows 8-8102
M1330: Quad boot: Windows 7 x64, XP Pro x64, Ubuntu, Media Direct
Mini 9: Black, 2GB, 1.3MP Cam, BT, Runcore 32, Windows 7
Mini 10: Black, Z530, Intel 5100 WiFi, OCZ Vertex SSD, XP Pro & Windows 7 (sold)
Mini10v: 2GB, OCZ Vertex, Intel 5100, Windows 7
  (#4) Old

Default 06-03-2009, 10:56 PM

Thanks for your answers!

« trying to restore OSX on Dell Mini 9 | got my mini 9 today...webcam problems already »