Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Angry updating dell mini 9 - 05-29-2009, 04:25 PM

I was updating my dell mini 9 and it was a really long update so i left and turned it off.(Before this ive turned it off during an update and when i turned it back on it went straight to updating) Now i turned it on and it didn't update and i also noticed that my wifi connection was not working. Ive been told that the update messed up my wifi and now i dont know how to change it back. Help if you can...
  (#2) Old

Default 05-29-2009, 04:39 PM

Assuming you're in Windows... do you have System Restore enabled? If so, try reverting to a point before the update. Otherwise, connect through wired LAN to the internet and manually run Windows Update to see if it will finish.

At least that is where I'd start...

Jeff

Mini 9 | Black | 32GB RunCore SSD | 2GB RAM | .3MP cam
Windows 7 Home Premium
  (#3) Old

Default 05-29-2009, 05:28 PM

firstly, DO NOT turn off your computer in the middle of an update, especially a long one (possibly a service pack update). Second what OS are you using? Im going to assume XP, jej was correct in suggesting a system restore to the point before the update. You could also try rolling back the wireless network card driver by right clicking my computer, select properties, hardware tab, then device manager. go to network adapters, click on it to show adapters then right click on your wireless network card and select properties. Click the driver tab and lastly Roll Back Driver. this should give you your wifi access back, rerun updates and do not interrupt them.
  (#4) Old

Talking 05-29-2009, 05:47 PM

No he is running linux , here are some terminal commands do these then try to run your updates again this time dont leave! Im assuming you now have some internet?

sudo apt-get autoremove
say "y" to remove broken packages then do the bottom it will remove old updates giving you more space

sudo apt-get clean

then restart your uupdates let me know how it goes , you can find terminal in applications,
let me know how it goes ok?

Ice Blue 32gb ssd 2gb ram OSX .3mp camera....
  (#5) Old

Talking 05-29-2009, 05:50 PM

To the above posters thanks for all your help , dollarbill22 is my son im trying to get him to learn linux , it's really not that hard , thanks again to all....

Ice Blue 32gb ssd 2gb ram OSX .3mp camera....
  (#6) Old

Default 05-29-2009, 08:45 PM

It's good to learn Linux! And it's hard to learn anything without needing some help. I've only learned a wee bit about Linux myself, and would be nowhere without forums like this one.

Enjoy!

Jeff

Mini 9 | Black | 32GB RunCore SSD | 2GB RAM | .3MP cam
Windows 7 Home Premium
  (#7) Old

Default 05-29-2009, 10:11 PM

thank you to all
  (#8) Old

Default 06-02-2009, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINIRUN47 View Post
To the above posters thanks for all your help , dollarbill22 is my son im trying to get him to learn linux , it's really not that hard , thanks again to all....
That's funny.... and what I did/am doing. I told my 12 year old he could have a Mini 9 if he used it to learn Linux. Not just watch YouTube, but show credible evidence that he's learning something; execute commands from a Terminal, etc.

I don't know, maybe it's retaliation at life for making me use punch cards for FORTRAN programming in the '70's....LOL

But you know what? He's developing a preference for Ubuntu over even Windows 7.

Tom
XPS 420|XPS 420|M1330: Windows 7 x64, Windows 8-8102
M1330: Quad boot: Windows 7 x64, XP Pro x64, Ubuntu, Media Direct
Mini 9: Black, 2GB, 1.3MP Cam, BT, Runcore 32, Windows 7
Mini 10: Black, Z530, Intel 5100 WiFi, OCZ Vertex SSD, XP Pro & Windows 7 (sold)
Mini10v: 2GB, OCZ Vertex, Intel 5100, Windows 7
  (#9) Old

Default 06-02-2009, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrtom View Post
That's funny.... and what I did/am doing. I told my 12 year old he could have a Mini 9 if he used it to learn Linux. Not just watch YouTube, but show credible evidence that he's learning something; execute commands from a Terminal, etc.

I don't know, maybe it's retaliation at life for making me use punch cards for FORTRAN programming in the '70's....LOL

But you know what? He's developing a preference for Ubuntu over even Windows 7.
I love stories like this! Also love the nostalgia and memories of punch cards.

Makes me almost wanna hold off on upgrading the stock Mini SSD (Ubuntu installed on it) with a RunCore destined for OS X.

...almost ...

Cheers!
  (#10) Old

Default 06-02-2009, 05:33 PM

I'm 42, a federal geek, and am now forcing myself to run Ubuntu. I wish I would have done this years ago... I believe it would have made me a "rounder" IT professional.

I think it's a great idea to start them young.

-- 2120 | black | N550 | 250 gb | 2 gb | 7 ult 32bit
-- Alienware MX11 R1 | Black | dual 7300 | 500 gb | 4 gb | Win7 Pro 64bit

« Dell Mini 9 vs Dell Vostro A90 | Vostro A90/Ubuntu Sound and Microphone Issues »