Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Send a message via AIM to eXplicit
Default Dual Boot XP/Vista and OS X - 11-14-2008, 02:16 PM

Hi, I've already asked this in the OS X section, but haven't got a response. I would like to dual boot XP/Vista with OS X on my Mini when I get it in a couple weeks. It may sound like much, but I was wondering if someone could point me in the direction of the downloads that I'll need, as well as a tutorial. I don't have a copy of OS X, but I'm sure I could obtain one somewhere. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

(#2) Old

Default Re: Dual Boot XP/Vista and OS X - 11-14-2008, 03:41 PM

Did you search outside of this forum? I would guess you're not the first person to try it, and I bet some helpful soul has put a guide online somewhere. I would suggest finding a guide like that and then posting Mini-specific questions here (actually, on the OSX board like you did the first time.) I realize you want to be directed to such a guide, but if no one responded, it's cause they wouldn't know where to point you. Google is your friend for doing some research for this.

Specific questions like yours can require a broader audience to answer. Keep in mind this forum is still pretty young.

Good luck, though, and be sure to post back questions along the way!

Jeff

PS And welcome to the forum!

Mini 9 | Black | 32GB RunCore SSD | 2GB RAM | .3MP cam
Windows 7 Home Premium
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Dual Boot XP/Vista and OS X - 11-14-2008, 10:26 PM

I didn't try it but as a Mac User I know that you can install bootcamp allowing you to dual boot. You'll first have to install OSX86 on your Mini and once installed run bootcamp to install the Windows OS.
But honestly I don't know tif the mini hardware ressources can stand such a configuration

Hope it helps

Dell Mini 9 - Running OSX - Runcore 32 GB SSD
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Dual Boot XP/Vista and OS X - 11-14-2008, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jej.514
Did you search outside of this forum? I would guess you're not the first person to try it, and I bet some helpful soul has put a guide online somewhere. I would suggest finding a guide like that and then posting Mini-specific questions here (actually, on the OSX board like you did the first time.) I realize you want to be directed to such a guide, but if no one responded, it's cause they wouldn't know where to point you. Google is your friend for doing some research for this.

Specific questions like yours can require a broader audience to answer. Keep in mind this forum is still pretty young.

Good luck, though, and be sure to post back questions along the way!

Jeff

PS And welcome to the forum!
Thank you for this, and yes, I have searched Google. I've found all sorts of different "Images" I guess, like iDeneb, etc. It's just all confusing. I can install Windows just fine, but I've never dual-booted a PC before in my life. Not even two Windows OS's. I guess I can do trial and error, but there are so many people that have been able to do it, and know how to, I thought there might be a specific guide somewhere with detailed instructions, illustrations, and links to downloads. Oh well. Thanks anyways.

(#5) Old

Default Re: Dual Boot XP/Vista and OS X - 11-15-2008, 12:09 AM

eXplicit... I hear ya! Sometimes it seems like there's too much info out there...it just gets confusing. If you're still deciding between XP & Vista, as much as I like Vista (even on the Mini), I think space-wise that would be tough. You can use nLite to get XP down to a pretty small install, and I expect space will be a factor since you're wanting OSX on there too.

Jeff

Windows 7 Home Premium
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Dual Boot XP/Vista and OS X - 11-15-2008, 07:28 PM

Quote:
eXplicit... I hear ya! Sometimes it seems like there's too much info out there...it just gets confusing. If you're still deciding between XP & Vista, as much as I like Vista (even on the Mini), I think space-wise that would be tough. You can use nLite to get XP down to a pretty small install, and I expect space will be a factor since you're wanting OSX on there too.

Jeff
Won't be too big of a problem. I'm upgrading to a 32GB SSD before I do. I'll be doing a fresh install of OS X right out of the box, but will dual boot XP/Vista and OS X later. Where do I get the files that I need to burn to a DVD to make the install work?

(#7) Old

Default Re: Dual Boot XP/Vista and OS X - 11-15-2008, 08:21 PM

I am going to leave that question for an OSX user. Good luck! Let us know how it all goes!

Jeff

Windows 7 Home Premium
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Dual Boot XP/Vista and OS X - 11-15-2008, 08:52 PM

Quote:
I am going to leave that question for an OSX user. Good luck! Let us know how it all goes!

Jeff
I will definitely report back with my results. I look forward to getting my Mini in a week or so.

(#9) Old

Default Re: Dual Boot XP/Vista and OS X - 01-20-2009, 01:06 AM

Hello, new to the forum, just wondering if anyone was having luck dual booting XP and OS X. Can I simply use bootcamp?

Thank you.

Type:Mini 9
O/S: OS X
Ram: 2gb
HD: Runcore 32gb
  (#10) Old

Default Re: Dual Boot XP/Vista and OS X - 01-20-2009, 02:11 AM

Check the OS X forum: http://mydellmini.com/forum/woooohoo...%83-t1699.html

No, you can't use Bootcamp, unfortunately.

« Tips on removing un-necessary Dell software | Leaving my Dell Inspiron 9 on »