Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Casemod resources? - 05-23-2009, 05:57 AM

Hey guys, new to the forum. Just got myself a mini 9 for a casemod project, my first with a laptop.

Anyway the big thing I need to do is move the display around. About 8" further than existing connections allow. I would prefer to also move the keyboard around but that's less of an issue. Does anyone know about resources for extending display / ribbon connectors or if this is even possible?

The only casemod thread I can see is this one.

And of course the service manual I am certain will be of use...

Thanks for any pointers,
-Jack Horner
  (#2) Old

Default 05-24-2009, 03:49 PM

Hrm... There are things out there for extending the Flat Flexible Ribbon cables that are commonly used. The DIY Projector people use them for moving LCD controller parts out of the beampath in their designs. Some careful searching through the tutorials that can be found on various DIY Projector forums should be helpful.

What would be problematic is finding a cable that is flat on one end, rolled and shielded for most of its length, and ends on that specific connector. You might just try and count the number of leads on the video cable where it connects to the back of the LCD, hit up digikey for a cable of the right width, pitch, and lead length, then see if a female-female socket of the right kind exists. You could then use the existing video cable to connect to the motherboard. Unfortunately, such a connector might not exist. You _might_ have to purchase two female connectors and then determine some way to make a straight passthrough out of them. If that turns out to be the case, you have my extreme sympathy.

If you do find something, please share part numbers and the like. It will be very useful to the community to have this sort of thing on-hand for future modding.

Also, extending the display 8 inches? I'm guessing either a carputer or something out of Terry Gilliam's Brazil.
  (#3) Old

Default 05-24-2009, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycroftxxx View Post
Also, extending the display 8 inches? I'm guessing either a carputer or something out of Terry Gilliam's Brazil.
Mycroftxxx,

Thanks, your suggestions give me something to think about.

The idea is something like the latter, don't want to say to much until I can determine feasibility. As you said on the other casemod thread, I'm tired of useless gears and painted nerf guns...

-Jack
  (#4) Old

Default 05-24-2009, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amhlaidgh View Post
Mycroftxxx,

Thanks, your suggestions give me something to think about.

The idea is something like the latter, don't want to say to much until I can determine feasibility. As you said on the other casemod thread, I'm tired of useless gears and painted nerf guns...

-Jack
BWAH-HA-HA-HA-HA Go for it. If I may make a suggestion, the display cable is long enough to allow you to either "flip" the display over the back of the device, OR rotate the screen in such a way as to allow you to mount it to the keyboard area of the chassis. Removing the stock keyboard and palmrest and varying the mounting of the LCD panel in relation to same would allow you to mount the whole computer in what is considered normal for a display area. If you really are going whole-tilt Gilliam, You'll want a much larger keyboard anyway.

Anyway, keep up posted. Post pics of whatever fresnel lens you end up deciding to use

Mine? In pieces, on the dining room table, waiting to be assembled into something new. For a couple of days it looked silly. Soon it will still look silly, but will have a bit of style to it.

« Can't upgrade BIOS from A00. | Which Wireless Card ? »