Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Send a message via MSN to Jason@DEMAND!
Default DELL Mini 9 or 12 - 11-13-2008, 11:03 PM

I like both and really having a hard time figuring out which one?
They have a special deal going on right now for a Mini 9 for $99 (which is the low end model) if you buy a Studio 17.
Any opinions or insight to help with my decision is greatly appreciated.

Jason @ DEMAND!
  (#2) Old

Send a message via MSN to nollie
Default Re: DELL Mini 9 or 12 - 11-13-2008, 11:13 PM

I think it would have to be a decision based on personal preference and the functionality and main use which you're looking at.

I own and am currently using a Mini 9, which I respectively chose over all the other notebooks available due to good reviews, decent price and ability to upgrade the system. Screen and keyboard were not too small for me (note: the right shift key and '?' is tiny, takes a little getting used to at first".

Obviously the Mini 12 is bigger, not sure myself but think it's more powerful with a larger hard drive. I am personally not sure whether at this point I would choose a 12 or 9 if I had to decide, as although they are both small in size, the extra power could come into use, but the portability of the mini 9 is astounding. Fits into my bag for college, along with other folders, bits and bobs very easily indeed. Not too sure if the same can be said for the 12 but from what I've seen it's still a pretty small laptop.

From what I've gathered you won't be able to go higher than 1Gb ram in the 12 which could factor in if you want to do anything particularly CPU intensive.

If I were you I would probably go with the Mini 12 in the end - the larger keyboard, processing power and screen could come in handy and still be a very portable, yet capable laptop (sorry not sure about the price of it though!). Still the decision is yours. Hope I've been some kind of help.

Dell Mini 9 - 64GB Runcore - 2GB RAM - Windows 7 - 16GB SD - Jolicloud Beta
  (#3) Old

Default Re: DELL Mini 9 or 12 - 11-13-2008, 11:56 PM

Thanks! That helps.
For the price and what I will be doing, I am thinking the Mini 9 for starters then easing up to the 12 is need be.
The question is how scalable is the 9 as far as RAM and memory?
I'm not planning on doing anything intensive, basically an entension of the home office when not at home.
  (#4) Old

Default Re: DELL Mini 9 or 12 - 11-14-2008, 12:19 AM

BUy the base mini 9 if you plan to upgrade the ssd and ram. You can get 2gb of ram for about 35 bucks(2bg is the most known to work. )

I have both an 8gb version with 512mb of ram and a 16gb with 2gb of ram. THe 2gb definitely helps.

I don't think the mini 12 is an "upgrade" in any way other than size. The base processor is not as good as the mini's, and I THINK i have heard that the ram is hard wired, so no upgrading.
  (#5) Old

Default Re: DELL Mini 9 or 12 - 11-14-2008, 12:26 AM

I don't think the 12 is more powerful than the 9. The 9 is 1.6 GHz while the 12 is available in 1.3 or 1.6. The 12 has a 1GB limit on the RAM, and I don't think it is upgradeable. The Mini 9 couldn't be easier to upgrade: pop off the cover, 2 clips release the memory, 2 screws release the SSD.

I'm extremely happy with the 9; the size is perfect, it can do all I ask it to, and it looks and feels great in the process.

Keep us posted on what you get and fill us in on how it works out.

Jeff

Mini 9 | Black | 32GB RunCore SSD | 2GB RAM | .3MP cam
Windows 7 Home Premium
  (#6) Old

Default Re: DELL Mini 9 or 12 - 11-14-2008, 12:43 AM

Thank you very much for all the input. I will definitely keep each of you updated. Appreciate all the comments!!!!!
  (#7) Old

Send a message via AIM to onefish2
Default Re: DELL Mini 9 or 12 - 11-14-2008, 01:04 AM

Its like deciding to buy a compact car versus a full size car. Its personal preference and budget. Having said that, I am happy with the Mini 9. I have zero interest in the 12.

Obsidian Mini9 - Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex 8.10 with Netbook Remix, 8GB SSD, 2GB RAM, 4GB SD, Bluetooth, 1.3 Webcam
Lifestreaming @ http://www.ExploitTheSystem.com | Blogging @ http://www.onefish2.com
  (#8) Old

Default Re: DELL Mini 9 or 12 - 11-14-2008, 02:45 PM

Yeah I agree. There's a novelty value to the 9 and not sure I can justify the 12's expense, why not just buy a laptop.
I'm going with the 9 and making some mods, with some upgrades. Thanks for your help!
  (#9) Old

Default Re: DELL Mini 9 or 12 - 11-14-2008, 03:12 PM

also based on the case design on the 12 it is harder to access the upgradeable parts.
  (#10) Old

Default Re: DELL Mini 9 or 12 - 11-14-2008, 04:06 PM

Good point that I read somewhere. I'm now going with the 9 for sure. This forum is a great resource for guys like me and I truly appreciate the response.

Questions............
- The base model comes with an 512mb DDR2 memory, which is easily upgradable right?
- Also comes standard with a 4GB SSD Hard Drive, is that upgradable as well?
- Do I buy the higher end or can I make these upgrades myself, after the purchase?

The reason I ask is that I read where you need to upgrade the SSD to 16GB SSD for better performance.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

« Mini 9 ORDERED! | Built in mike? »