Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#11) Old

Send a message via Yahoo to GerallK
Default Re: DELL Mini 9 or 12 - 11-14-2008, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@DEMAND!
- The base model comes with an 512mb DDR2 memory, which is easily upgradable right?
- Also comes standard with a 4GB SSD Hard Drive, is that upgradable as well?
- Do I buy the higher end or can I make these upgrades myself, after the purchase?
My recommendation: go with minimal RAM (because it's a breeze to add more inexpensively), but get the larger SSD. In following the threads on this forum, there are different configurations of SSD that make finding a larger one a little tricky.

Plus, everyone who's talking about SSD upgrades is concerned about read and write speeds. Of the few who have bravely mod'ed their machines with a different SSD, most have found that the original drive (as shipped from Dell) was faster.

Until the path becomes clearer, you might want to just get the largest SSD Dell offers (or that your budget allows) and do the RAM upgrade yourself.

Just my $0.02 USD... If anyone has a different perspective, feel free to give us both fresh information!

Obsidian Mini 9 > 2gb ram, 16gb ssd, bluetooth, 1.3mp webcam, us-intl kbd
Internal Mods > usb hub, 16gb flash drive, 8gb flash drive, added webcam, changed kbd
Software Mods > Dellbuntu 8.04.1 | Gentoo 2008.0
  (#12) Old

Send a message via MSN to Jason@DEMAND!
Default Re: DELL Mini 9 or 12 - 11-14-2008, 05:50 PM

Right.
Ok, so now the Ubuntu OS. Any thoughts?
I dont know jack about this and currently run XP for everything. Will this be a problem?
Mods? Upgrades? etc....

BlackFridayads.com has a Dell ad on there supposedly the black friday for all Dell sale products and the MIni 9 is on the front page for $299 equipped with the following:
-Intel Atom Processor N270
-Ubuntu 8.04
-512MB
-4GB SSD
-Wireless
-Black or White
-Free Shipping

If that is true, good deal?
  (#13) Old

Default Re: DELL Mini 9 or 12 - 11-14-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Right.
I dont know jack about this and currently run XP for everything. Will this be a problem?
Mods? Upgrades? etc....
I'm what most would call an experienced Linux user, so take this with a grain of salt... I find upgrading hardware on Linux to be easier than doing it with XP or Vista. Yes, replacing a hard disk can be a little hairy, but if you've got good backups it's no more trouble than swapping out a drive under any other OS I can think of.

The real buggabo with Linux is with the hardware drivers. This is the Eternal Issue with people using Free Software / Open Source OSs. Sometimes the vendor will provide drivers or a spec, sometimes they don't. This has made me picky about what hardware I purchase (I always check to see if there are Linux drivers before putting my cash on the table.)

Quote:
BlackFridayads.com has a Dell ad on there supposedly the black friday for all Dell sale products and the MIni 9 is on the front page for $299 equipped with the following:
-Intel Atom Processor N270
-Ubuntu 8.04
-512MB
-4GB SSD
-Wireless
-Black or White
-Free Shipping

If that is true, good deal?
If I had another $299 + shipping, I'd buy one in a shot. That's a good price. The SSD is a little small, but that's what they make external hard disks for. Media to the external, the SSD under the hood runs the OS.

Let us know how you choose --

Internal Mods > usb hub, 16gb flash drive, 8gb flash drive, added webcam, changed kbd
  (#14) Old

Default Re: DELL Mini 9 or 12 - 11-14-2008, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Right.
Mods? Upgrades? etc....
As a user with no experience with Linux I will add my 2 cents. I bought my Mini with Ubuntu and so far I am loving it. However, keep in mind that my primary use for this computer is internet access. I also wanted to experiment and get to know Linux a bit. I guess it would depend on how much you want to do with it and how much time you want to spend learning an operating system that you don't know. If you are just going to use it for Internet access then getting it with Ubuntu would probably work just fine. If you want to do more advanced stuff with it and don't feel like taking the time to get to know a different Operating system then I would say get the XP.

And I agree with GerallK, if I had $299 to throw around I would buy that in a heart beat.

If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?
  (#15) Old

Default Re: DELL Mini 9 or 12 - 11-14-2008, 06:53 PM

Keep in mind, I'm not using this as a workhorse for daily work functions. It's primary use will be for interne/email/etc. I want to keep it cheap on the front end then use this forum to make the upgrades as needed. I will probably stick with the cheaper version and build it to suit my needs. If Dell stays with the so called ad, that will be my route. If not, I'll look at the options.

Thanks for your help and please let me know of anything I need to consider.
  (#16) Old

Default Re: DELL Mini 9 or 12 - 11-14-2008, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your help and please let me know of anything I need to consider.
Color!

The black cover attracts fingerprints like a picnic attracts flies!

If you're going for a case-mod or cover, it doesn't matter. If aesthetics is your thing, you might want to think carefully about the cover color.

(#17) Old

Default Re: DELL Mini 9 or 12 - 11-14-2008, 09:34 PM

Yup, already thought of that one and been looking at covers already. There's a thread somewhere in this forum that talks about different vendors. Will def get case and/or a skin!
  (#18) Old

Default Re: DELL Mini 9 or 12 - 11-15-2008, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefish2
Its like deciding to buy a compact car versus a full size car. Its personal preference and budget. Having said that, I am happy with the Mini 9. I have zero interest in the 12.
Well... sorta.... It's like buying a compact hybrid--good quality, but not high performance, versus buying a full size 1970 LTD that only runs on 3 cylinders. Sure it's bigger, but that does not make it better.

The 12 is crippled from the start with the lack of ability to upgrade the ram. Further, it doesn't have an LED screen so battery draw is goign to be much higher.
  (#19) Old

Default Re: DELL Mini 9 or 12 - 11-15-2008, 10:24 PM

Understood Medic!
I'm going with the Mini 9 and then do some upgrades and mods. Once I get the MIni 9 , be prepared for some questions, advice and opinions.

Again, I appreciate all the response.
  (#20) Old

Default Re: DELL Mini 9 or 12 - 11-20-2008, 12:33 AM

Yes you can upgrade the RAM to 2GB for only a few dollars. See:

http://mydellmini.com/forum/2gb-ram-...guide-t78.html

I would go for the smallest SSD from Dell and order and upgrade part from MDD. See:

http://mydellmini.com/forum/faster-s...%83-t1054.html

You can get a faster 32GB drive there for around $120 or a 16GB for around $70. These are likely cheaper than the Dell upgrades if you can start with a 4GB version.

Dell Mini 9:Black:GelaSkin by Daim:32GB RunCore SSD:2GB RAM:Bluetoothell 1505 b/g/n

« Mini 9 ORDERED! | Built in mike? »