Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Free space on 8 GB SSD w/ Ubuntu 9 and password issues - 05-21-2009, 10:55 PM

Hello, all! I'm the proud, new owner of a Vostro A90, running Ubuntu and I had a couple of quick, likely simple questions/issues. I'm hoping someone far more knowledgable than me wouldn't mind jumping in with some thoughts or insight.

1. I ordered the A90 with 1 GB of Ram and an 8 GB SSD, which I assumed would be plenty for a very basic netbook. I quickly upgraded to 9.04 and found myself with only 1.5 GB of free space remaining. I removed almost all of the languages and bumped that up to around 2 GB, but after installing Skype and a few additional packages, I'm back down to 1.8 GB again. It seems that a basic Ubuntu 9.04 install (using the Dell OS Iso) with only a couple of added programs and packages, shouldn't take up 6 GB of space, even with the added pieces that come with the Dell Iso. Am I missing something? Are there additional pieces I can remove, like the languages, that are eating up space but not necessarily giving me anything useful in return?

2. When I first set up the computer, using its pre-installed 8.04 Ubuntu, I set up a password. When I installed the new 9.04 Ubuntu and tried to use the same password, it informed me that the password was weak, so I came up with something else. Unfortunately, it seems to be using the previous password. When I use the Terminal and am required to enter a password, the new password doesn't work, but the old one does. Is there a way to reset my passwords to make them consistent?

I'm wondering if I somehow kept some of my user information from 8.04 when I upgraded to 9.04. I don't see how that's possible... I wasn't presented with an option to "upgrade," so I think I did a clean install. Now I'm starting to wonder.

I know these are basic questions, so I appreciate everyone's patience as I settle in. Thank you.
  (#2) Old
Guru

Default 05-22-2009, 01:52 AM

After installing 9.04, how is your drive partitioned? ("main menu > system > admin. > partition editor" or run "sudo fdisk -l" in a terminal)

To change your password, look under "main menu > system > admin. > users and groups" then pick your account and edit it. Or use the "passwd" utility in a terminal.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old

Default 05-22-2009, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflex View Post
After installing 9.04, how is your drive partitioned? ("main menu > system > admin. > partition editor" or run "sudo fdisk -l" in a terminal)
Thanks for your prompt response, reflex! I appreciate it.

I don't seem to have the Partition Editor app installed on my Vostro, but via Terminal I have the following. I believe it just tells me it's all in one partion, but I may be wrong:

Disk /dev/sda: 7682 MB, 7682605056 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 934 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xbe29fcbf

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 887 7124796 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 888 934 377527+ 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 888 934 377496 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Disk /dev/mmcblk1: 4089 MB, 4089446400 bytes
61 heads, 60 sectors/track, 2182 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 3660 * 512 = 1873920 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/mmcblk1p1 3 2183 3989504 b W95 FAT32

Quote:
To change your password, look under "main menu > system > admin. > users and groups" then pick your account and edit it. Or use the "passwd" utility in a terminal.
Thanks! That should do it! I appreciate the help.

Robb
  (#4) Old
Guru

Default 05-22-2009, 11:49 AM

Ok. I don't see a major problem with the partitioning. I do prefer to run without swap on my computers, so I'd delete the swap partition and grow the main partition into that area. But it's only a couple hundred MB. It's not the main problem.

So, I'd check how big your home directory is. I'd use a terminal to check, but you can also use the "Disk Usage Analyzer" utility (main menu > accessories).

To check it via a terminal, first open a new terminal, or execute "cd" (change directory) in an existing one. "cd" changes to your home dir. by default, and new terminals start in your home dir. Then execute "du -sh" (disk usage, summary, human-readable). That'll tell you how big your home dir. is.

To check the home dir's size with the Disk Usage Analyzer, just start it up and hit "scan". Then you can examine its findings.

Also, I wasn't sure if the partition editor is installed by default. I guess it's not. If you want it, execute "sudo apt-get install gparted" in a terminal, or search for "gparted" in Synaptic (under "main menu > system > admin.").

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#5) Old

Default 05-22-2009, 12:34 PM

Thanks again, Reflex. I used the Disk Usage App and took a peek at where my files are and it looks pretty standard, at first glance. My home directory only weighs in at 75.4 MB, with 89% of that just being taken up by Mozilla. My "usr" folder takes up the most space at 3.7 GB, with 56% of that being eaten up by the "lib" folder and another 38.3% taken up by "share." Strangely, 1.5 GB of my "lib" is being taken up by Open Office, which seems a little high. I've been running Open Office for years on Macs and its never taken up that much space. 815.6 MB of that 1.5 GB is just "help."

Hmmm.

Robb

« New Member Mini 9 | J.R.T. SR Connectors to USB Connector »