Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default i386/lpia architecture struggle; install UNR (jaunty)? - 05-19-2009, 10:31 PM

First, thanks to those who have responded in the past. Second, I'll try to be concise.

I have the (famous to you if you have it) problem of the Dell Mini 9" which claims to have an lpia architecture and not be an i386 derivative. Put short, I can't reliably install any third party software.

It seems there are short term patches and more involved solutions. My question: should I risk the Ubuntu Netbook Remix option? I hear that it works quite well on Minis but I also see problems reported such as screens going white (Switch Desktop Mode or something like that) and I have limited options for external reboot (no CD-ROM).

It's unsettling to see solutions proposed and have the proposer end with (sorry lpia users).

You should also know (have you figured it out?) that I know very little. I actually have a UNR .img on a usb stick, have downloaded usb-imageinstaller, and still can't get there from here. The download was not a dpkg/apt-get/synaptic download because those programs on my machine don't like i386.deb packages.

All I wanted to do was run R on a non-Microsoft machine. Thanks. Room533
  (#2) Old

Default 05-19-2009, 10:34 PM

uhm, I'm not sure this got posted so I'm replying to avoid losing the thread.
  (#3) Old

Default 05-19-2009, 10:58 PM

Don't worry about lpia vs i386. The performance difference will be minimal, and it doesn't seem like the battery life is much different either. If you are worried about the Netbook Remix, just install plain jaunty. But I have been using it for a while with no difficulties (I just have not switched back and forth to desktop mode recently).

As for your installation issues, can you boot from the USB stick, or is the image on the stick as a plain old file? If the former, press 0 when you see the boot screen, and choose to boot from the USB stick. Then you can choose to install from the image. For details, see https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UNR.
  (#4) Old

Default 05-20-2009, 12:15 AM

What is R? Ii've seen it mentioned in a couple of posts, but it is too short to google, excuse my ignorance.

Ubuntu 9.04 and Ubuntu 9.04 NBR (Netbook Remix) both run fine on the Dell Mini 9. It is just a question of which user interface you prefer.
  (#5) Old

Default 05-20-2009, 12:40 AM

You can try the NBR by using the live usb image, try it and see if you like it. It works great for me.

The lpia architecture it a non-issue. Here are some insturctions to convert any i386 deb package to a lpia. Convert .deb package from i386 to lpia | matt-helps
  (#6) Old

Default 05-20-2009, 12:32 PM

Thanks everyone for responding. I'll the suggestion at the bottom, although I'm very pessimistic at this point.

On the R, question, it is too short to google isn't it?

Try The R Project for Statistical Computing

Fom there, if you want to download you can access CRAN (comprehensive r archive network).
  (#7) Old

Default 05-20-2009, 01:26 PM

I checked the link; they provide the source, so you can compile it for lpia architecture. Or, use the link in T-Keith's post to repackage the i386 .deb.

« random freezes in Ubuntu | doubting, mini 9 or mini 10? [OSX] »