Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default ubuntu R i386 lpia ialmostgiveup - 05-18-2009, 08:53 PM

Hi, this is probably not the right forum but the pure linux ones aren't either. Maybe you can direct me. I have a new mini 9" running Ubuntu8.04. I have tried since day 2 to install R_2.9.0-2. I still can't get there.

The numbers and kinds of problems can't be covered in one post of finite length. After many tries, I got an architecture mismatch message (apparently Dell decided to call the Atom not an i386 but "lpia"). Sweet Dell, can I have 18 days of my life back please?

OK, got past that. Now I can't go further with the next step because I get the

"unable to lock the download directory" even though no other application is open and I rebooted to boot (not intended but accepted). Any clues/which forum/etc. I;m frustrated but appreciative. Room533
  (#2) Old

Default 05-18-2009, 10:39 PM

Hi Room533,
"Dellbuntu" 8.04 uses the lpia architecture rather than the "standard" i386. This means that you can't install an i386 package unless you repackage it following these instructions: [ubuntu] HOWTO: Repackage i386 deb for in lpia (for Dell Mini9) - Ubuntu Forums

Many Mini 9 users find that it's less hassle to replace Dellbuntu with the standard i386 version of Ubuntu 8.10 or 9.04. This site has some great how-tos: Ubuntu on the Dell Mini 9

Finally, the Ubuntu Forums are a fantastic resource. (Be sure to mention you're using the Dell version of Ubuntu 8.04 when you post.) Ubuntu Forums

My advice when you're feeling frustrated is to tackle your problems one-by-one, and be specific and descriptive when posting for help. Good luck!
  (#3) Old

Default 05-19-2009, 01:44 AM

I can testify to the usefulness of the ubuntumini.com instructions; even though I'm no Linux expert, it walked me through how to make a bootable USB stick for 9.04, and from there I just ran the install. You'll need to download some utilities on your current ubuntu install to make the stick, but they do work with lpia.

The 9.0.4 Ubuntu Netbook Remix is what I went with, and it worked great; no special drivers needed to be installed or anything. I definitely recommend it.

Black Mini 9 | A05 | Ubuntu 9.04 NR | 2GB RAM | 16GB SSD | US Intl Keyboard
"Wherever you go, there you are."

« Some basic beginniner n00b questions | Ubuntu is Fugly and makes my eyes hurt »