Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Inop Wireless switch - 05-17-2009, 12:28 PM

The wireless switch (Fn 2) on my Dell mini 9 is inoperable. This happened after I allowed the AT&T connection manager that controls my USB 3G wireless card to install itself as the default wireless manager (obviously a dumb move). I have since turned that feature off and the AT&T manager only controls the wireless card.

Unfortunately the built in wireless was in the off position when all of this happened and I can't activate it to use with my home network wireless router.

I have tried to re-install the Dell driver but that has no effect.

Is it possible that the AT&T software made a BIOS change? Is there a register key that needs to be turned back on?

Any thoughts?
  (#2) Old

Default 05-18-2009, 07:50 AM

I'm no expert on Mini's with WWAN but,

go into device manager and re-enable the wireless, then try the switch. If nothing happens, make sure that wireless is on and do another re-install.

If it doesn't appear in device manager in windows, restart and make sure that wifi is turned on in the BIOS.

Hope that helps.

Not sure what you mean by 'register key'.
  (#3) Old

Default 05-18-2009, 08:02 AM

Also, if nothing else works, you could try uninstalling the AT&T program, reboot, and try to enable the wi-fi. If that works, re-install the AT&T program, and hope it stays on.

« Ubuntu 9.x - Only see desktop icons | Brand new mini, Hard Disk failure!! »