Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Ubuntu 9.x - Only see desktop icons - 05-16-2009, 07:30 PM

Ok, I did something. I tried to remove games from the add/remove programs option. My wireless card still won't connect to my WPA network (another rant) so i had to quit removing those programs. I put the system into hibernate. I come upstairs, open the lid, and the machine never comes back up. So i held the power button to hard reboot the machine.

Here is where the fun starts. I see my standard login screen just fine. I put in my user name and password. It goes to my desktop. This time I can ONLY see the three desktop icons directly on the desktop. The header menu and footer menu are no longer visible. Keep in mind i switched back to 'classic' ubuntu desktop not that fancy dashboard of programs. So now i'm stuck here with my three icons and I can't connect to anything. I can't open a terminal, I can't do anything other than change my desktop background, and whatever options are on my desktop right-click context menu.

What the heck do I do now??
  (#2) Old
Guru

Default 05-16-2009, 07:54 PM

I'm guessing the "gnome-panel" package got uninstalled or broken, since I've had similar problems when I accidentally uninstalled it.

To reinstall the package, I'd plug into a ethernet cable to ensure Internet access. Then switch to the first virtual terminal by pressing "Ctrl+Alt+F1". Then login and execute "sudo apt-get install gnome-panel" to reinstall. "sudo" will need your password. Then type "exit" and hit "Ctrl+Alt+F7" to get back to the GUI. Login to the GUI, and hopefully the panels will be back.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old

Default No such luck - 05-16-2009, 08:17 PM

I just tried what you suggested. It says that 0, upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded. Apparently i'm already using the newest version and it's fully installed.

Still stuck with no panels top nor bottom. I also made the mistake of trying to install Kubuntu as I figured a theme would have to install what i needed if that was teh case. Now Ubuntu netbook desktop is loading up when Kubuntu desktop is loading up. So behind the scenes i see kubuntu desktop but the stupid quick launch dashboard of the standard Ubuntu Netbook Remix is there. Both fight for the attention of the mouse. So i restarted, changed my session back to Xconfig, and launched back to my no panel desktop.

Still stuck.
  (#4) Old
Guru

Default 05-16-2009, 08:29 PM

What happens when you choose "failsafe Gnome" as your session?

You could also try "sudo dpkg-reconfigure gnome-panel" in a terminal. I think that might restore the default setup.

(#5) Old

Default 05-16-2009, 08:51 PM

Failsafe Gnome displays the desktop again with no panels. I attempted the command line reconfigure attempt and am still unable to view any panels. I'm simply at my desktop with only three short-cuts i created and no panels top nor bottom. This is confusing and frustrating. If i log in under Knome I am able to see the panels, but like I mentioned i get both the ubuntu netbook desktop appearing on top of the Knome desktop. It's just a horrible mess of each program fighting for the attention of the mouse. I'd really like to get gnome back up to where it should be and drop the Kubuntu i installed after gnome started acting weird with the desktop.
  (#6) Old
Guru

Default 05-16-2009, 09:15 PM

Try logging in to your blank Gnome session. Then right-click on the desktop and choose "Create Launcher". Input "gnome-terminal" in the "command" field. When you finish, you should have an icon to launch a terminal on the desktop.

Launch a terminal, then input "gnome-panel" to try to manually start the panel application.

* You could create a launcher to directly start "gnome-panel", but the terminal launcher can be useful if the simple solution doesn't work.

(#7) Old

Default 05-16-2009, 09:19 PM

I launched gnome-panel manually. It appeared again! Woo. I got a few debug messages appearing on the command prompt and one that says '(gnome-panel: 4728): Libglade-WARNING **: Unexpected element <requires-version> inside <glade-interface>.

The rest are just adding applet messages. However, when I close the terminal it closes the panels along with it. Should this be something loaded into some sort of start-up script? I'm confused on why it's not auto-launching?
  (#8) Old

Default 05-16-2009, 09:30 PM

PS> Thanks for the help reflex. I've been fighting my 'reflex' to just put Windows 7 on the thing.
  (#9) Old
Guru

Default 05-16-2009, 10:05 PM

Here's a bug report thread that may have the solution to your problem: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ja...er/+bug/349519. It's long and spans a couple months. You might want to read it starting with the newest first and working backwards.

(#10) Old

Default 05-18-2009, 12:49 AM

Am looking at the potential fix now.

It was pretty easy to reproduce. I actually went back and reinstalled Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9 wiping the previous installation. I then switched to classic desktop. It all worked fine. Rebooted and all was happy with panels again. I then opened the update manager and performed updates. I restarted, and when i logged in it was a blank desktop.

Fun times. I'll take a look at the thread. Thanks for the extra info.

Tags
netbook remix, no menus, only desktop icons, ubuntu 9

« New Member. Had the Mini 9 Since Release! | Inop Wireless switch »