Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Waiting on FedEx to arrive as I type... - 05-13-2009, 04:09 PM

Of course, they "tried" yesterday while I was at work, but didn't leave a tag for me to sign... so I called in this morning to just wait for it.

I've been a lifelong windows user (well, MS-DOS before that), and never messed with Linux in any way...

I was excited to see a new version of Umbuntu has just been released, but then I read about all the problems here with Umbuntu and hardware conflicts etc on the mini (mine is a Vostro, but whatever).

I'm hesitant to upgrade to the new version of an OS that I haven't even used before, when there have been so many problems listed here with the same hardware configurations.

I guess the question, possibly answered already but I missed it, is "are these problems with upgrading typical or not? Should a Linux newbie just get used to the 8.0.4 that comes ready to go before trying to upgrade?"

Thanks
  (#2) Old

Default 05-14-2009, 03:08 AM

To answer your last statement , that's what i did before moving on to OSX in fact i left ubuntu 8.04 on one of my mini's until all the kink's are worked out on jaunty then i'll upgrade it but trust me even with my 4gigger ssd it's quite zippy , i mean it's no runcore 32gb but it run's nice. Give linux a shot im glad i did....

Ice Blue 32gb ssd 2gb ram OSX .3mp camera....
  (#3) Old

Default 05-18-2009, 05:27 PM

I tried to give Linux a shot. But it was extremely annoying not being able to use countless windows programs that I needed to run. So I switched to Windows XP. Eventually, I'm planning on switching to Windows 7.

But Minirun47 is right, I agree, check out Ubuntu. It does offer some pretty neat features in a nice package.

Dell Inspiron Mini 9 / Custom XP Pro SP3 / 2GB Mushkin RAM / 4GB Stock SSD / Mini BT USB Dongle / 16GB Class 6 SDHC

« Brand new mini, Hard Disk failure!! | Some basic beginniner n00b questions »