Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Send a message via MSN to ash
Unhappy Brand new mini, Hard Disk failure!! - 05-13-2009, 10:28 AM

Hi

So I decided to put Linux on my mini (distro-Open SUSE) all was going fine in till it crashed during setup whilst installing grub boot loader. So I re-formed the ssd to re-install xp with fdisk and now i can't install xp because the Linux partitions won't delete so I think its maybe a ssd read-write error and I need a new drive, I’ve try'd everything I can think to remove these Linux parts and get bk to xp or even better OSX! Any suggestions

Btw: I've order a new 32 GB ssd from eBay and it's in the post so fingers crossed I can replace the ssd and install OSX.

Also I tried upgrading to 2gb ram (from 1gig) so bought the right chip and mini wouldn’t get pass post, so I reinstalled old chip and it worked! Faulty chip maybe?

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Ashley
  (#2) Old

Unhappy Brand new mini, Hard Disk failure!! - 05-13-2009, 10:29 AM

Hi

So I decided to put Linux on my mini (distro-Open SUSE) all was going fine in till it crashed during setup whilst installing grub boot loader. So I re-formed the ssd to re-install xp with fdisk and now i can't install xp because the Linux partitions won't delete so I think its maybe a ssd read-write error and I need a new drive, I’ve try'd everything I can think to remove these Linux parts and get bk to xp or even better OSX! Any suggestions

Btw: I've order a new 32 GB ssd from eBay and it's in the post so fingers crossed I can replace the ssd and install OSX.

Also I tried upgrading to 2gb ram (from 1gig) so bought the right chip and mini wouldn’t get pass post, so I reinstalled old chip and it worked! Faulty chip maybe?

Any suggestions?
  (#3) Old
Guru

Default 05-13-2009, 10:55 AM

You shouldn't need to remove GRUB or delete partitions before installing Windows or OSX. The installation process should be able to do that itself.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#4) Old
Super Moderator

Default 05-13-2009, 11:37 AM

Try using a LiveCD of Linux (such as Knoppix) in either an external optical or via USB key and use the Linux fdisk to delete the partitions. I have had the same problems in the past. It's very likely not a hard disk failure, but Windows (and possibly OSX) inability to delete partitions from other operating systems.

Alienware M11xR2 - Core i5 1.06 - 4 GB - 250 GB HD

Triple Boot Guide - 10v RAM Upgrade Videos - mechdrew's OSX guides
  (#5) Old
Super Moderator

Default 05-13-2009, 11:43 AM

I could swear I replied to this, unless you made a post in another forum.

Boot into a LiveCD of Linux (knoppix works, or if you want minimal, Gentoo). Use the Linux version of fdisk to remove the partitions. Make sure you save the changes.

I've had issues in the past with Windows (OSX may have these issues as well) with it not liking to remove Linux partitions.

(#6) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to MoInSTL Send a message via MSN to MoInSTL Send a message via Yahoo to MoInSTL
Default 05-13-2009, 12:03 PM

Anguish you did. Merged thread due to double post.

Studio 15 1558| Black Chainlink| i5-520M, |4GB RAM |500 GB HD@7200 |ATI HD 4570, 512K|Backlit|9 Cell|Web Cam|Windows 7 Professional x64
  (#7) Old
Super Moderator

Default 05-13-2009, 12:11 PM

Ahhh.. That splains it.

(#8) Old

Default 05-14-2009, 11:03 PM

thanks for ure replies just found out my ssd is full of bad sectors, maybe thats y i can't delete the parts using suse live cds, pclinux live cd, parted, fdisk or linux fdisk (just says in dos fdisk after i delete them, failed to write to disk) i used bad blocks to try' and fix these but 2 no avail; it's kind of funny to think i can break a brand new drive with-in 2 weeks of getting my mini, lol. Anyway replaced it with a 32gig from crucial, wish i new about runcore first darn!!

Ash

MY DELL MINI 9: uk Black, 1G DDR2, Bluetooth, 1.3MP Webcam, WiFi Card, Dual boot XP Pro/Windows 7 RC1.
Upgrades:
32GB Crucial N100 PATA mini PCIe SSD. (not Runcore!! )
  (#9) Old

Default 05-18-2009, 12:19 PM

Do you think Dell will replace the SSD then with that 'car' warranty thinky!

MY DELL MINI 9: uk Black, 1G DDR2, Bluetooth, 1.3MP Webcam, WiFi Card, Dual boot XP Pro/Windows 7 RC1.
Upgrades:
32GB Crucial N100 PATA mini PCIe SSD. (not Runcore!! )

Tags
failure, hard disk, new mini, suse linux

« Inop Wireless switch | Waiting on FedEx to arrive as I type... »