Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default I am So Lost. - 05-13-2009, 04:46 AM

Well this would be my first post of many here, so to begin, Hello to you all. I am a Mac guy, and have been one ever since Keynote, Pages and Mac OSX have been doing their thing...

Recently, I have had an urge to integrate my Windows only software at work onto my laptop, and untether myself to the office. After doing a great deal of reading and testing, my MacBook didnt like running OSX and Parallels with my software.

So I decided on a Mini 9 as a guinea pig for the test. Hey, if it doesn't work, I can make one hell of a Hackintosh from what I understand. I ordered it last week, so July should be about right, as I have read ( still love my Mac) . Currently, I have an older HP for testing the system. I am planning to run Ubuntu on my laptop right now, and I have to say, that after a trial run, I AM LOST. I think its a windows clone with more emphasis on the command line. I remember my old MSDOS coding, and so help me, if I have to go to

10 Print
20 Print

we are in for a world of hurt. Do I have Ubuntu mistaken, or is

sudo lshw -c network

a normal thing that I will have to run to be sure I have a wireless signal??I really hope that I can understand what I got into, or at least, there is a link to a review that will be more explanatory and less sales On the sales side, you may be out of livc here...????

I am looking for any help with a HP dv1000 with 4306 chipset from HP as my pet boy. Or with the mini 9

Hugs and Kisses
  (#2) Old
Guru

Default 05-13-2009, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PtJudeRI View Post
we are in for a world of hurt. Do I have Ubuntu mistaken, or is

sudo lshw -c network

a normal thing that I will have to run to be sure I have a wireless signal??
"lshw" (list hardware) is a useful terminal command to show what hardware's in the system. In your case, you're limiting the display to network hardware.

And no, you don't have to run it to see if you have a wireless signal. You should just be able to glance at the taskbar and see a little widget showing the strength of your wireless connection. Click on it to get a list of available connections.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit

« Cake or death? | New look of website »