Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Smile installing things on SD card?? - 05-13-2009, 02:53 AM

i was just wondering if it was possible to actually install things onto a SD card rather than the 8gb SSD. thanks ;]
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 05-13-2009, 12:42 PM

Sometimes, yes. Depends on the application. Some won't allow installation on a removable disk, but most don't care.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Send a message via Yahoo to Lucius
Default 05-14-2009, 04:24 AM

I installed most of my applications onto my 8gb sdhc card. Great as long as you don't need to take it out regularly. I will be installing an internal sd card in the near future so my external one can be more mobile from pc to mini.

Mini 9: White w/ Red Metal Gelaskin, Win Xp (soon to be OS X), BT,
8 GB SSD (32gb Runcore installed once OS X is purchased), 2GB RAM, Logitech VX Nano
  (#4) Old

Default 05-14-2009, 01:43 PM

osx wouldn't let me install any apps to the sd card. So I have a 32GB sd card that i was planning on using for apps, but now just gonna use on other stuff I guess.
  (#5) Old

Default 05-14-2009, 06:15 PM

In Windows, you could make your Mini think the SD is a fixed disk by following the info in this thread:

Booting from SD card (progress w/Wubi & alternate drivers)

My Dell Mini 9
Black / BIOS A05 / Dual Booting XP Pro and Ubuntu 9.04 / 2GB RAM / 16GB SSD / BT 2.0 / 1.3MP Webcam / US-INTL Keyboard U061H
Extras:
16GB SDHC
Sleeve
External Drive
Skin
Buffalo MicroSD USB Memory Stick w/8GB MicroSD
  (#6) Old

Default 05-16-2009, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
I installed most of my applications onto my 8gb sdhc card. Great as long as you don't need to take it out regularly. I will be installing an internal sd card in the near future so my external one can be more mobile from pc to mini.
Just a note, I believe the bandwidth over the PCI-E connection will not support the full speed of the class 6 cards, so apps may run quite a bit slower. I'm not positive about this but you may want to double check, if you plan on running a lot of intensive apps of it this might be something to consider.

My Dell Mini 9 | 2gb Crucial Ram | 16gb STEC SSD | 16gb SDHC| 0.3mp Webcam |OS X 10.5.7| DellEFI 1.1 | A05 | Meklort's Touchpad Drivers | Dropbox | My Desktop
  (#7) Old

Default 05-21-2009, 12:36 PM

Go get portable applications and you are good to install on your SD card. Very helpful.
  (#8) Old

Default 05-21-2009, 01:25 PM

You can mount the SD card as a folder within the Program Files folder on the C drive. This allows for installing programs onto the SD that would normally be restricted to C:\Program Files, as long as the installer allows you to select the folder.
This is done through the Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Disk Management. Select the drive letter for the SD card from the list, right-click on it and select "Change Drive Letter and Paths". Click "Add" and create a path to the SD inside the existing Program Files folder.
I did this and created a separate Program Files folder on the SD for installing programs, and it works well. Have this on both my Mini 9 and Eee.
  (#9) Old

Default 05-21-2009, 01:52 PM

Ok, so apps may not be the best choice to put on these cards. If using OS X, can the card be a place for iTunes music, for example? Other documents or photos?
  (#10) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to MoInSTL Send a message via MSN to MoInSTL Send a message via Yahoo to MoInSTL
Default 05-21-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DELLsFan View Post
Ok, so apps may not be the best choice to put on these cards. If using OS X, can the card be a place for iTunes music, for example? Other documents or photos?
Yes, great place to store things like that.

Studio 15 1558| Black Chainlink| i5-520M, |4GB RAM |500 GB HD@7200 |ATI HD 4570, 512K|Backlit|9 Cell|Web Cam|Windows 7 Professional x64

« doubting, mini 9 or mini 10? [OSX] | New Member Mini 9 »