Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default My kid tried to install windows 7..how to get back ubuntu - 05-10-2009, 06:26 PM

i got a blank formated drive now. How do I install the 2 dvd disks (ubuntu & drivers ).

without buying a external DVD.

I tried copying the ubuntu dvd to an external disk and tried booting from that. no go. no boot manager

not at all well versed with linux.

How do I install it via usb stick or memcard?

Thanks a lot..couldn't find this answer with search.

thnx for help..
  (#2) Old

Default Re: My kid tried to install windows 7..how to get back ubuntu - 05-10-2009, 06:56 PM

One option would be to download the new Ubuntu Netbook remix. http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download-netbook

That page also has directions on installing from a flash drive.
  (#3) Old
Guru

Default Re: My kid tried to install windows 7..how to get back ubuntu - 05-10-2009, 07:24 PM

I never have and never will use my recovery CD, but I can tell you howI think it should work.

On a computer with a CD drive, UNetbootin should be able to take the recovery CD and place it on a USB flash drive, memory card with a USB reader, or a USB hard drive. Be aware that it probably has to erase any files on the target drive in the process.

And you probably don't need the driver CD, just the recovery CD.

If you're using a Mini 9, you could also consider downloading a newer version of Ubuntu than the one Dell ships. If you're using a Mini 10 or 12, I'd stick with the default.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit

« Hello fellow 9 owners! | Sleep Mode with OS X »