Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Greetings, first time Mini owner - 05-07-2009, 04:22 PM

Hi guys, thought I stop in and say hi. Ran across the site while looking up stuff for the Dell Mini 9. I just purchased one from a friend for #200 and happy with it so far. Mine currently has 1gig of ram and the 16gig SSD HDD. I'm wanting to upgrade the ram to 2gigs, even though I swear I saw somewhere that the actual board can handle 4gigs. But maybe it was too hard to ever get it to work. If 4gig is possible, please let me know. =D I'm also going to be upgrading the SSD to a 32gig version and I'm trying to find the best bang for buck for that. I'm also wanting to buy a SDHC for the laptop to always keep on it, to act as a secondary storage device. If you guys have any other tips, let me know. And any OS suggestion would be nice too. I plan on watching videos and using it for ROMs. I'd also like to be able to put movies on it and hook it up to my TV to view them.

Thanks guys! This site r0cks.
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Greetings, first time Mini owner - 05-07-2009, 04:48 PM

4GB not possible.
Keep in mind that inexpensive SSDs may be slow.
There is no video out, so you will need some sort of VGA converter to connect to a TV
As for OS, if you're a Windows user, Windows 7 is nice.

Welcome to the forum!

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Greetings, first time Mini owner - 05-07-2009, 08:20 PM

Hi pr1m3-mini,

So I have a few comments that I thought I'd pass your way:

Holmes4 is right about the memory, the chipset only allows up to 2GB of RAM, though you can supplement that through the use of an SDHC card in the card reader, then in either Vista or Windows 7 set up all of the card or part of it for use with ReadyBoost. More info on that can be found here at Microsoft. If you do want to do that, then obviously its best to have a fast SD card, so look for one with better performance.

As for the TV out capabilities, there are a few options. As you know the Mini only has VGA output, and the Intel GMA 950 video card has a maximum external resolution of 2048x1536. Though this is lowered if you have both the LCD and the external VGA port displaying at the same time. Check out this discussion about resolution on this forum. From my experience, the Mini can display HD resolution (1920x1080), but if you try to play a 1080i or 1080p video, the machine can't keep up it, and it struggles significantly when displaying 720p video. Just keep that in mind when trying to play a blu-ray rip of Batman Begins.

In terms of TV connectivity, if your LCD or Plasma had a VGA input then you're good to go. But assuming that you don't have a VGA input, then you're looking at one of three options; a VGA to DVI adapter (which would be cheap), a VGA to HDMI adapter (which would work but is not cheap), or a VGA to component adapter (which is also cheap, but not great quality).

Holmes4 also has a good point about the SSD performance and price points. There is definitely something to be said for getting what you pay for. If you search the forums here, a lot of people are using the RunCore drives to great affect. However, there are others that have found the Buffalo drives to be cheaper and nearly as fast, and so a much better fit. Others have also had success with the SuperTalent drives, claiming that although the performance numbers don't show it, they're very usable drives and significantly cheaper. I think with any of these issues, your mileage will vary, and your expectations will largely determine your satisfaction with any given upgrade or trade-off.

I hope you found that of use, and welcome to the forum,

Fraggle

Fraggle.Rock
-
Dell Vostro A90 | Black | Kingston HyperX 2GB | STEC 32GB SSD | SanDisk Extreme III 8GB SDHC | 0.3MP Webcam | Bluetooth | Intel 4965ABGN WLAN | Windows 7 RC1 or Ubuntu - depending on mood | GMABooster | A04 BIOS
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Greetings, first time Mini owner - 05-08-2009, 08:38 PM

Thanks for the great tips guys.

Oh well, I was just hoping I could stream off HD movies to my TV (it does have VGA, how my 360 is connected). I've been wanting to build a HTPC and thought with this I could save some money =P.

I'll look into the RunCore and Buffalo drives, thanks.

I'll probably pick up one of these too for my Mini.
http://www.ecost.com/Detail.aspx?edp=43 ... =155441519

I'm putting together a new main rig as well and I'm having it Vinyled. I showed him my mini and he said he could vinyl it as well, so I'm going to have it match my main rig. I'll post links when its done. =D

Oh and also. I was sitting at my desk before work and saw my copy of Matrix on the ground. I was like, I wonder what it would look like on my mini. So I made a dvd rip real quick before work and transferred it to my mini. I have to say, it looked awesome. Granted the screen size helps, but I think the LED back lit screen works perfect. I can't wait until they make LED Monitors and see what they do with them.

« Hi | Can OS X SSD be swapped as needed with XP SSD »