Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Send a message via AIM to turtle
Default Just got me a mini9 - 05-04-2009, 12:31 AM

Well i've been going back and fourth on getting one and my GF just got me one for my b-day, well it was more of a exchange. She bought my mini9 and she took my dell 1505 laptop which was pretty much new. :?

Well she got a barebones setup,4gb 512mb linux no camera. i've been a windows guys, i played with a macbook and it wasn't for me. the closest i want to be to OSX is itunes for my iphone. With that said i'm obviously looking to get window's pro in this mini ASAP. But research research research must be done. i read a couple of threads here and there on runcore VS buffalo VS supertalent 32gb and ways to install XP.

I'm only interested in 32gb since they seem to be "best bang for the buck". i still dont know know what i want this mini for other then web surfing and i want to use it as a scantool with OBD2. I needed something in the garage for when i look up wiring diagrams and DIY on car stuff. Nothing crazy at all.

Now from what i read the easiest and headache free method to installing windows pro is thru nlite and a external CD drive. I just need a hard-drive to play with. supertalent VS runcore at this point... i see the price difference and then people who claim to see day and night differences and then you get some that say no huge difference.I've been bouncing back and forth with it.
  (#2) Old
Retired Mini user

Default Re: Just got me a mini9 - 05-04-2009, 12:36 AM

If you get a 32Gb drive you really don't need to vlite the install, unless you want extract every last bit of disk space.

With an external drive you just insert the Windows XP CD and install, then once the OS is up and running install the drivers from Dell.

Getting an iPad
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Just got me a mini9 - 05-04-2009, 12:44 AM

i've seen only a handful of people that had their CD-drives not detect. I didn't go in depth to see if they are standalone external drives or if they were USB~> SATA or IDE enclosured drives.

Well from what i read full blown windows pro sp3 is about 4-5gb and many of knocked it down to 1-2gb. the 32gb drive will come with maybe 30gb of usable space. Hell why not try to nlite it. Realisticly i dont think i can fill up 32gb unless i start ripping and downloading movies on it but a much cheaper 500gb external can take care of that.
  (#4) Old
Retired Mini user

Default Re: Just got me a mini9 - 05-04-2009, 01:24 AM

I used a USB > IDE adapter and an internal Pioneer DVD drive I had lying around for my initial installs of Windows XP and OS X. Since then I've only used USB for installing Windows 7.

I'm sticking with Windows 7 as it seems to handle the hardware (especially the SSD) better than XP, particularly the "pause" or "stutter" issue under XP.

Getting an iPad
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Just got me a mini9 - 05-04-2009, 03:07 AM

I have a IDE to USB external hard-drive enclosure. Its made for a hard-drive. You think i can gut it out and make it run a IDE dvd-rom drive i have :P

I am very tempted, even if this works i'm still looking to get an external dvd-drive but i can prolong it for a bit and focus my funds on a hard-drive and ram. I just cant make up my mind on runcore or supertalent.
  (#6) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Just got me a mini9 - 05-04-2009, 01:29 PM

If the enclosure is made specifically for a hard drive, it will not work. There are larger enclosures which will accept any 5-1/4" IDE device.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Just got me a mini9 - 05-04-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle
..I just cant make up my mind on runcore or supertalent.
i think most ppl here would push for the runcore..mainly cuz of speed and the mini usb port attached to it
  (#8) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Just got me a mini9 - 05-04-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ade099
i think most ppl here would push for the runcore..mainly cuz of speed and the mini usb port attached to it
Nit: that's a MicroUSB port, and some people find the attachment is somewhat tenuous, so be careful! Nevertheless, I agree that the RunCore is a worthwhile purchase.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Just got me a mini9 - 05-05-2009, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4
If the enclosure is made specifically for a hard drive, it will not work. There are larger enclosures which will accept any 5-1/4" IDE device.
the enclosure itself is for a hard-drive yes and while i can put the drive in the encolsure it doesn't mean i cant gut out the internals and pretty much run it like a USB ~> IDE cable.

either way i'm just getting a USB~> IDE/SATA cable.

« Webcam? | Just got my new Dell Mini 10.. »