Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Mini shipped - Please answer these questions - 05-03-2009, 10:20 PM

as I want to be ready when it gets here. I am no hacker but I know I can add extra memory. My mini will come with 1GB,DDR2,533MHZ,1 DIMM and 16GB Solid State Drive (mini-card Module/PATA). The OS will be XP. What size memory should can I add? I plan to use this for email, surfing, organization (like a calendar, budget, etc) and will put some music on it but plan to keep my largest music collection and photos on my desktop. It comes with anti virus software that I don't want to use so I know I will get rid of that and use AVG which I prefer. What other simple things can I do to make this computer more efficient? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
PS. Where to get a good quality memory stick for a decent price?
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Mini shipped - Please answer these questions - 05-03-2009, 11:12 PM

You can replace the 1GB memory with a 2GB stick - no more. Newegg is a popular source. If you do that, you can disable the pagefile, but the hibernate file will grow to 2GB to match the RAM.

Look in the Mini9 forums for more helpful tips. You will have about half the SSD free, less if you uncompress the drive.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10

« New here | Webcam? »