Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Next to no free space AFTER removing crapware! - 3GB missing - 04-30-2009, 09:22 PM

Need some help!

I've just got my Vodafone-spec 8GB SSD Mini, and I've not installed anything on it yet.

When I got it, there was only 550MB free, so I uninstalled:

*Microsoft Works
*Vodafone Mobile Connect
*Dell Video Chat
*MSN
*McAfee
*Microsoft Powerpoint Viewer
and so on...

But now I've still only got 1.5GB free.

It doesn't seem right that Windows XP is taking up 6.5GB! When I load up Windows Explorer, select everything in C: and right click and choose properties, it says it's using 3.03GB - which means I'm missing about 3GB of storage!

What gives?

Any help muchly appreciated!
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Next to no free space AFTER removing crapware! - 3GB missing - 04-30-2009, 09:24 PM

check out your settings for hibernation, system restore and page file.
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Next to no free space AFTER removing crapware! - 3GB missing - 04-30-2009, 10:39 PM

Ive managed to disable hibernation, so now im back up to 2.65GB, but how do I find the other two?
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Next to no free space AFTER removing crapware! - 3GB missing - 05-01-2009, 12:23 AM

page file: control panel>system>advanced tab>performance settings>advanced tab>page file. if you have more than 1gig of RAM, disable the page file completely. If not, you can reduce it to 500megs or so to gain some SSD space.

system restore should be it's own tab in the control panel system application. i would disable this too.
hope that helps.

« new to the forum | Flash Drive Space Required To Rip Leopard? »