Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default First Steps - 04-29-2009, 09:02 PM

Hi Everybody-

So, I've ordered my first new laptop. Ever. A Dell mini 9 (1GB DDR2, 16GB SSD, XP, no camera or bluetooth) that is just going to be for internet, word processing, listening to music, light gaming (anyone know where to download Risk?) and a few other things. No DVD watching or burning, CD burning, etc.

So my question is, what should be the first things I do to the unit when it comes out of the box? That is, I don't know what kind of bloat/fun/nothing-ware is on this stock, nor do I know what is loaded on it in terms of virus protection, OS updates, etc.......

I *am* going to need to download software for my printer, a docking station I got, and I hope the USB CD drive I got is a plug-and play.......

So, any advice? Order and list of taking stuff off, and then putting programs on? What to avoid? What to absolutely do if I don't do anything else? Bueller?

Thanks!
  (#2) Old

Default Re: First Steps - 04-29-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiredGun
Hi Everybody-

So, I've ordered my first new laptop. Ever. A Dell mini 9 (1GB DDR2, 16GB SSD, XP, no camera or bluetooth) that is just going to be for internet, word processing, listening to music, light gaming (anyone know where to download Risk?) and a few other things. No DVD watching or burning, CD burning, etc.

So my question is, what should be the first things I do to the unit when it comes out of the box? That is, I don't know what kind of bloat/fun/nothing-ware is on this stock, nor do I know what is loaded on it in terms of virus protection, OS updates, etc.......

I *am* going to need to download software for my printer, a docking station I got, and I hope the USB CD drive I got is a plug-and play.......

So, any advice? Order and list of taking stuff off, and then putting programs on? What to avoid? What to absolutely do if I don't do anything else? Bueller?

Thanks!

Spend a full day readin this forum. Al the info you need is here. You have advocates for different OS's and your choice of OS is crucial.

Nice choice of first laptop BTW.

My opinion? I'd spend the cash and put OS X on it. Of all the dektops AND laptops out there, NONE are more compatible with OS X than the Mini 9. To NOT turn it into an inexpensive Macbook Nano is a travesty against humanity.
  (#3) Old

Default Re: First Steps - 04-29-2009, 11:29 PM

Heh heh...........thanks for the advice. I did, however, cash out the last of my savings to buy this sucker, so there's not a whole lot more (apart from a USB CD drive and a couple other small things) that I'm going to get.

...............although a nice Star Trek skin would look great.........

In any event, XP is good enough for me, at least for now, and for the pretty straightforward stuff I'd like to do.

I've been perusing the forums for a while, and I'm trying to piece together things like software, drivers, accessories......getting a fair amount of good info, but also a litany of different attitudes toward them. I guess once I crack the sucker open I'll see what works and what doesn't.

Thanks for the post!
  (#4) Old

Default Re: First Steps - 04-30-2009, 02:09 AM

+1 for reading forum.

Loads of hints and tips around like the Flash driver for hard drives, installing a RAM drive, clearing out junk, disasbling XP prefetch, removing page file, etc etc
  (#5) Old

Default Re: First Steps - 04-30-2009, 04:25 AM

hello... i know osx isnt high on your list of priorities but let me tell you, ive had ubuntu, windows 7 and now osx all on my mini 9 and osx blows them all away. i am so impressed with it, its my new best friend! a small investment of a 32g runcore and a copy of osx is really all it takes...maybe in the future? think about it. im glad i did it...my mini is blazing fast on the internet.

another thing i really like about the mini that i didnt catch before i had it in hand was how useful the card reader is... slap a 8 or 16g sdhc card in there with movies or music or just use it for data storage to get over the hard drive limitations. i hope that helps, have fun with your new purchase.

« some storage questions | Need some help installing OSX via 2 USB... »