Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default my hard disk is full, how do i get to it and make space!!! - 04-29-2009, 08:59 PM

my first search engine the dell mini 9, I love it i,m still getting use to it, my situation is this my hard disk is full and i,d like to know how can i get to it and delete unnecessary junk without deleting any important files, please your help will be appreciated thanx!
  (#2) Old

Default Re: my hard disk is full, how do i get to it and make space!!! - 04-30-2009, 12:41 AM

I'd recommend deleting unused programs and whatnot. I believe there are some posts on here for help with OSX slimming. What OS do you have installed?

Dell Mini 9 | Mac OSX 10.6.2 | 1GB Ram | 16GB SSD | Bios A05
  (#3) Old

Default Re: my hard disk is full, how do i get to it and make space!!! - 04-30-2009, 05:21 PM

my os is ubuntu 8.04.
  (#4) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to MoInSTL Send a message via MSN to MoInSTL Send a message via Yahoo to MoInSTL
Default Re: my hard disk is full, how do i get to it and make space!!! - 04-30-2009, 06:54 PM

Studio 15 1558| Black Chainlink| i5-520M, |4GB RAM |500 GB HD@7200 |ATI HD 4570, 512K|Backlit|9 Cell|Web Cam|Windows 7 Professional x64
  (#5) Old

Default Re: my hard disk is full, how do i get to it and make space!!! - 05-02-2009, 03:58 PM

i got to the hard disk through ( Disk usage analyzer) but here,s whats erking me, how can you identify the vital files from the garbage files any suggestions and thanx
  (#6) Old
Administrator

Default Re: my hard disk is full, how do i get to it and make space!!! - 05-02-2009, 04:27 PM

What's garbage to you may be useful to someone else. Only you can make that judgment.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#7) Old

Default Re: my hard disk is full, how do i get to it and make space!!! - 05-02-2009, 04:39 PM

well let me re-phrase that, not really to say (garbage) but files other than whats necessary to make the computer runs to its optimum performance, any items i want to save will be stored on a external drive or flash d, how can u identify these files the vital ones? THANX!
  (#8) Old

Default Re: my hard disk is full, how do i get to it and make space!!! - 05-02-2009, 06:50 PM

Clearing the apt cache can free up quite a bit of disk space. The apt cache contains install packages for downloaded/updated packages, and are not needed once installed. If they are needed they will be re-downloaded. Command to clear the cache is:

sudo apt-get clean

Then type your password. This clears out /var/cache/apt/archive (you can investigate how much is there before you clear it).
  (#9) Old

Default Re: my hard disk is full, how do i get to it and make space!!! - 05-03-2009, 12:05 AM

how do i get to the ( apt cache) please tell me more, and thanx for your help !!!
  (#10) Old

Default Re: my hard disk is full, how do i get to it and make space!!! - 05-03-2009, 12:46 AM

The Mini should have a pretty straight forward "add/remove software" utility where you can see programs that are installed and decide what to keep and what to uninstall. I'm not familiar with Dell's Ubuntu to know where to tell you to look for that utility, but in normal Ubuntu it is in the main menu below all the program groups (like Accessories, Internet, etc.)

If you're not sure what a program is or does, google the name to find out.

Stuff you're not sure about, leave it for now. Get rid of what you know can go and then go from there.

And for the record, what size SSD do you have?

Jeff

Mini 9 | Black | 32GB RunCore SSD | 2GB RAM | .3MP cam
Windows 7 Home Premium

« 64 G SSD Question | Looking for the right mini laptop »