Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Hi all new to the forum and linux.....and facing problems - 04-29-2009, 05:28 PM

Afternoon peeps,

Have had my dell mini for about 4 months. all was going fine until i upgraded about a month ago and no flash will load in firefox just a play button appears and when clicked some will play and some wont.

I could live with this but last night i updated again and now i cant connect to my wireless network.

when i edit my auto connection it displays a wep key that is not mine. Even when i update the wep key it always goes back to this random one i have not seen before.

can anyone please help before this mini goes out the window..............

Many thanks

Andy
  (#2) Old
Guru

Default Re: Hi all new to the forum and linux.....and facing problems - 04-29-2009, 06:39 PM

I dunno about Flash, it's always been flaky on Linux. I guess I'd try removing and reinstalling it.

So, start "Synaptic" under "Main Menu > System > Admin.". Then search for "flash". Look for the package named "flashplugin-nonfree". Right-click on it and choose "Mark for reinstallation", then hit "Apply" on the toolbar. You could also try "Mark for complete removal", "Apply", then "Mark for installation" and "Apply".

As for the wireless, I'd try removing all the saved wireless networks under "Main menu > System > Prefs. > Network Config.". And then starting fresh.

I hope you can fix your Mini.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Hi all new to the forum and linux.....and facing problems - 04-30-2009, 03:13 PM

If you really don't wish to have linux on it, you can install Windows XP or Windows 7. There's a few guides out there and it's not too difficult even if you are a novice with computers.

Dell Inspiron Mini 9 / Custom XP Pro SP3 / 2GB Mushkin RAM / 4GB Stock SSD / Mini BT USB Dongle / 16GB Class 6 SDHC
  (#4) Old

Send a message via ICQ to zeos Send a message via AIM to zeos
Default Re: Hi all new to the forum and linux.....and facing problems - 05-04-2009, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceax123
Have had my dell mini for about 4 months. all was going fine until i upgraded about a month ago and no flash will load in firefox just a play button appears and when clicked some will play and some wont.
maybe if flash is installed uninstall it and try gnash, or vice versa. if both are installed uninstall one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceax123
when i edit my auto connection it displays a wep key that is not mine. Even when i update the wep key it always goes back to this random one i have not seen before.
are you sure it is not just displaying the encrypted version of your key?

also you should look into using wpa instead of wep. nowadays wep is almost the same as having password at all.

Fact: Jerry Jeff Walker named his son after Django Fett.

Scooty Puff Jr. suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks!
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Hi all new to the forum and linux.....and facing problems - 05-05-2009, 12:18 PM

I had a similar Flash issue on my Mini 9 when it was running Ubuntu. This is what I did - hopefully it helps!

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5643

Mini 9 | BIOS A05 | OSX 10.5.8 | 2GB RAM | 16GB RunCore | BT | 1.3MP Cam
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Hi all new to the forum and linux.....and facing problems - 05-10-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmanx
If you really don't wish to have linux on it, you can install Windows XP or Windows 7. There's a few guides out there and it's not too difficult even if you are a novice with computers.
Windows 7 isn't yet official. Unless he paid to be a tester, he's not going to be able to get that and I don't recommend torrents, as there have been several cases of people downloading versions of Windows 7 via torrents that were infected with trojans (reported last week).

I would think that he'd have asked reinstall recommendations specifically, if that's what he wanted. He's doing a pretty good job if he's updating daily and not having any other issues beyond what he's posted. Flash can even be tricky on Windows, sometimes.

I suggest following Project7's post and link (above my post). With Linux and any other OS, sometimes there ARE issues. The immediate solution shouldn't be to reinstall another OS.

Obsidian Black Dell Mini 9n | gOS v3.1 Gadgets | 1gb RAM | 32gb SSD | 1.3MP camera
  (#7) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Hi all new to the forum and linux.....and facing problems - 05-10-2009, 07:17 PM

Windows 7 Release Candidate is available free to everyone until mid-July, and it will work until mid-2010.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Hi all new to the forum and linux.....and facing problems - 05-10-2009, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4
Windows 7 Release Candidate is available free to everyone until mid-July, and it will work until mid-2010.
That is only because it was JUST released this past week into RC status. RC status is NOT an official release, BTW.

And that still doesn't actually solve the issue that the OP is having regarding flash.

Obsidian Black Dell Mini 9n | gOS v3.1 Gadgets | 1gb RAM | 32gb SSD | 1.3MP camera
  (#9) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Hi all new to the forum and linux.....and facing problems - 05-10-2009, 09:21 PM

You said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by unixfool
Unless he paid to be a tester, he's not going to be able to get that
I was correcting that statement.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#10) Old

Default Re: Hi all new to the forum and linux.....and facing problems - 05-11-2009, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4
You said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by unixfool
Unless he paid to be a tester, he's not going to be able to get that
I was correcting that statement.
I'd forgotten that it is now RC status.

« Where can one get someone *else* to install OS X on a Mini? | Wireless not working after ubuntu upgrade »