Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Keyboards - 9 versus 10 - 04-27-2009, 09:54 PM

I've been considering purchasing a Dell Mini 9, since it actually has the better processor of the two (and better graphics chipset, not to mention a 4-cell, 32MWH battery instead of a 3-cell 24MWH one, which kind of puzzles me), but the compact keyboard may be an annoyance, since the plan is to take it along with me on a long-term work session, and my hope is to play a favorite game of mine (Neverwinter Nights, requirements below). My question is, how big of an annoyance is the new keyboard layout versus the standard one? Is 300Mhz (and GMA 950 vs 500) worth the standard keyboard layout? Prices are about the same, so little change there.
Quote:
Windows 98/ME/2000SP2/XP
450 MHz CPU (800 MHz CPU recommended)
128 MB RAM (256 MB RAM recommended)
16 MB RAM video card TNT2-class OpenGL 1.2 compatible (32 MB RAM GeForce 2 or Radeon video card recommended)
8X CD-ROM drive
DirectX 8.1
1.2 GB available hard disk space
I don't expect to play any more complicated games than this, though of course I will use it for word processing, multimedia, web browsing, etc. Advice is welcome.

As for space, having a hard drive would be nice as 160Gb would save me the need to purchase the external hard drive, but otherwise I would get a 320Gb USB drive and run the game and all other non-essentials off of it.

Oh, and don't worry about the CD drive (or lack thereof)--I'll just copy over all core files with a 8Gb USB thumb drive.

Incidentally, I'm a big up in the air about whether GMA 500 or 950 is better. 950 is clearly faster, but 500 is more powerful (Pixelshader 3.0 on 500, b ut only 2.0 on 950). Any suggestions from knowledgeable people on which is actually superior?
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Keyboards - 9 versus 10 - 04-29-2009, 05:12 AM

Forgot the keyboard question, but what I have right now:
Google seyz:
http://forums.msiwind.net/general-discu ... 10207.html
950 is faster.
More importantly, IMHO, 950 [or ... doesn't the Mini 9 actually run a 945?] is compatible with Ubuntu, while the 500 has a bunch of compatibility problems. Go with the Mini 9, it has a bigger battery and is just ... very much better. :P
If you want a good hard-drive based laptop, I'd actually look outside Dell. The Samsung NC-10 is supposedly very good [as is the Asus EEE 1000].
*edit*
That said ... Google again:
did-anyone-buy-a-mini-10--t4067s10.html
That guy seems to love his Mini 10. "Great keyboard", etc., etc. I will say that the Mini9's keyboard is bad - not unusable, but very irritating [I press enter instead of ' a lot ... type at 80 WPM and I'd guess 50 with the Mini 9's keyboard, down to 20 if I forget where the ' key is]. I want to get the upgrade, but I don't want to pay $15 [what, my total cost right now is $170+$15+$30+$40[<only semi-related]=$255? Still almost $100 cheaper than my AspireOne I guess ... but ... uhh ... I'm cheap. yeah.]

Received lowest quality mini 9 with 512 megs RAM, 4 GB SSD. Additions:
-2 GB RAM
-4 GB SSD [2 GB SD Card: getting 16 GB SDHC]
Sold for $180 so I could buy Mini 10, XP/Ubuntu, 160GB HD, 1GB RAM, 1366x768 screen, 6-cell for $260.
[Extra screen space IS AMAZING, as is having a working keyboard]

« New User-Mini 10-External Modem | Problems with webcam quality »