Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Wireless not working after ubuntu upgrade - 04-27-2009, 04:37 PM

Hi,
First post, I got a black 8gig mini9 with dell ubuntu 8.04 on it, a few weeks back. It worked like dream, absolutely loved it. Love the ubuntu too, no more virus possibilites for me. Unfotunatley I got overconfident and ran a friends usb drive on it to update the os to 8.10( using sudo su etc)., which it did, but now no wireless/bluetooth etc. I've tried to enable /disable wlan in bios, still no help. Fn key seems to work with the brightness/volume options etc, but not for Fn 2, its as if its not switching on.? I 'm very new to linux, so I may have done something wrong? Software discs provided by Dell are in cds, so I can't run them on the mini9! Please help! Or should I say its faulty and let Dell have it back?
thanks
warren
Shropshire,uk
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Wireless not working after ubuntu upgrade - 04-28-2009, 08:35 PM

Update, ,I downloaded Linux Mint onto a usb and have installed Mint now onto my mini9, in an attempt to somehow kick start the wifi into powering up. Wifi still not working.
The original usb that I borrowed to install Ubuntu to overwrite my dellbuntu was sourced from ebay, and it was actually a purpose built usb pendrive aimed at the Acer One owners out there, and it contained ubuntu 8.10 and the drivers needed by the o.s. to make the Acer One wifi and mobile broadband work.
If anyone knows where I could get a usb pendrive that contains a suitable Linux distro and most importantly the software that is applicable to the dell mini 9 all together, then that would do the trick.
Its possible for the less experienced linux users that own an Acer to buy a ready made solution from ebay.
Can anybody sell me a ready made solution ( usb pen drive) for the mini9?
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Wireless not working after ubuntu upgrade - 05-02-2009, 07:45 PM

Still no joy, I've managed to get the dell driver for the switching on fn and 2 bit, loaded onto the desktop, can't for the life of me work out what the terminal command is to run it!!!!!! Loaded wine, nearly got it to run that way, but it didn't.
I just hope someone can tell me how to do it, please please.
If not its going back, and I will get an Acer One, at the least, they have some support in the community!
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Wireless not working after ubuntu upgrade - 05-02-2009, 08:44 PM

Ubuntu is a great distro--I have 9.04 on two desktops and my Mini (along with Vista on one of the desktops and the Mini.)

You ran into trouble 'cause there is no way to upgrade Dell's Ubuntu to regular Ubuntu.

1. Download the ISO for Ubuntu 9.04 (or 8.10 if you prefer...) from Ubuntu.com.

2. Download Unebootin from: http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

3. Insert a blank pen drive into your USB slot.

4. Run Unebootin. Direct it to the ISO you downloaded and to your USB drive. Let it do it's thing.

5. You now have a USB drive that will boot a live image of Ubuntu 9.04 (or 8.10) that you can boot into and then install from.

Hope this helps! Reply with questions!

Mini 9 | Black | 32GB RunCore SSD | 2GB RAM | .3MP cam
Windows 7 Home Premium
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Wireless not working after ubuntu upgrade - 05-02-2009, 09:03 PM

Done all that, but my problem is that I can't switch on wifi, my fn and 2 function has stopped working, somewhere along the way.
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Wireless not working after ubuntu upgrade - 05-02-2009, 10:39 PM

Hmm. I didn't realize fn-2 might work in standard Ubuntu, so I never tried it (and it'll be a bit before I can try that.)

Mini 9 | Black | 32GB RunCore SSD | 2GB RAM | .3MP cam
Windows 7 Home Premium
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Wireless not working after ubuntu upgrade - 05-07-2009, 04:58 PM

gave up with linux, too much trouble, put XP on it, so now I get everything to work! Linux might work for some people, but not for me, bye bye ubuntu, hello XP.
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Wireless not working after ubuntu upgrade - 05-10-2009, 06:55 PM

I'm not trying to be rude...honestly.

Your solution to go to XP may have worked for you, but don't think that Linux is at fault here.

Think back to when you bought your Mini. Wifi worked out of the box, I'm suspecting. Then you started playing with other flavors of Linux and Wifi stopped working out-of-the-box. Then you went to Windows and it worked. Why? Proprietary drivers!

Anytime proprietary drivers mixes with Linux, it usually doesn't mix that well. While Dell's flavor of Ubuntu had it working, that doesn't mean it will be the same for every flavor of Linux, either, as some developers have a very hard time working with proprietary drivers (they have to reverse-engineer a driver for Linux or use such tricks as NDISwrapper, which gets Linux to utilize the proprietary drivers but also means that you're cutting corners and may not have a driver that is optimized for your usage requirements).

This was never a Linux issue. You should've also ensured that Dell's hardware (specifically your Mini's components) would work with the distros you wanted to use...BEFORE your installed. Research your project before you do your project and half your battles will be won. Also, if you run into an issue, Google is your friend...there are tons of articles that would've helped you (I ran into the exact same issues you did and found several solutions).

The quick fix would be to buy a wifi card that you KNOW will work with both Windows and Linux (with little to no configuration hassles).

Again, I'm not trying to be rude. It just seems like you didn't conduct adequate research and was maybe relying too much on forum feedback.

Obsidian Black Dell Mini 9n | gOS v3.1 Gadgets | 1gb RAM | 32gb SSD | 1.3MP camera
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Wireless not working after ubuntu upgrade - 05-10-2009, 10:43 PM

Can't argue with any of that. My latest update is this, bought an USB dvd rom drive, and was able to load Ubuntu 8.04 back on using the Dell disk, and what with the update in the last few days, everything works now with Dellbuntu! I've learnt a lesson, linux is not as straight forward as I rather naively hoped it would be. I will not try to change distros again on the fly, I may put windows 7 on though , just to try it soon! These netbooks are pretty hard to do stuff with unless you can access an external USB cd/dvd drive!
  (#10) Old

Default Re: Wireless not working after ubuntu upgrade - 05-11-2009, 05:18 AM

I ran into the same issue tonight, when installing gOS on my Mini 9.

I used the following link to fix it:

http://gosforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=21 ... adcom#p223

Should work for the OP.

Obsidian Black Dell Mini 9n | gOS v3.1 Gadgets | 1gb RAM | 32gb SSD | 1.3MP camera

« Hi all new to the forum and linux.....and facing problems | Cake or death? »