Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default The Dell Mini9 vs. The Dell Vostro A90n - 04-27-2009, 01:57 AM

Hey all, new to the forums, but not new at all to the EEPC market, or to the concept of Hackintosh-es and OSX86 projects.

Love to see this community here, and watch it as it grows and becomes more and more of its own niche transforming into its own major space. I digg it.

I have a few questions regarding the Vostro A90n, even though I know I'm posting to the Mini9's forum. This is because, from what I've collected on the internet and various websites, the A90n's are a prettier cased version of the Mini9's.

Are the Mini9 and the Vostro A90n's actually identical, the way they're being made out to be? I ordered mine with a 8gb SSD and 1 Gb of RAM for 200.00 off of Dell's website, as some promotion or discounted sale they were having on their Small Business division of the site.

Here come the questions:

1) Will the EFI's and installation instructions and drivers work the same for my A90n as they do for the Mini9 (for OSX)?

2) With an 8gb SSD, will I be able to install Adobe CS Master Collection and MS Office, or will it barely be large enough to install the OS and install the latest updates for OSX? OR, should I just shell out the extra couple of hundred bucks and get myself a decent sized SSD (32GB)?

3) Will I be able to install a GPRS or 3G card on this system?

4) Is the maximum expandable amount of RAM 2GB on this system as well, or is it more, or is it less?

5) Is there any way to upgrade the crappy 0.3 MP camera on the A90n to a better resolution cam/webcam, or should I not waste my time, and instead just get a better USB webcam?
  (#2) Old

Default Re: The Dell Mini9 vs. The Dell Vostro A90n - 04-27-2009, 02:26 AM

Hi and welcome to the forum. I was (sort of) hoping to jump in on the Vostro deal too, but I just missed out on it...maybe another day.

Quote:
Are the Mini9 and the Vostro A90n's actually identical, the way they're being made out to be?
Pretty much, yes. Just the body/case is different...same processor, memory, options, etc. They may possibly use a different brand of memory, but the specs should be the same.

Quote:
1) Will the EFI's and installation instructions and drivers work the same for my A90n as they do for the Mini9 (for OSX)?
I don't have OSX installed, but I would imagine, being the system itself is the same, you should be able to follow the Mini 9 guides for installing.

Quote:
2) With an 8gb SSD, will I be able to install Adobe CS Master Collection and MS Office, or will it barely be large enough to install the OS and install the latest updates for OSX? OR, should I just shell out the extra couple of hundred bucks and get myself a decent sized SSD (32GB)?
Master Collection of CS4, full install, requires at least 24 GB free space (Windows) and 26 GB for OSX. If you're wanting to install that and Office, you might want to consider getting a 64 GB SSD...at least then you'll have some spare space for other stuff. Edit to add: Take a look at the minimum system requirements for Master Collection HERE...drive space isn't the only thing that exceeds the Mini's/A90's capabilities...

Quote:
3) Will I be able to install a GPRS or 3G card on this system?
I've seen threads on this forum regarding GPS and 3G, so you can check the other sections (or do a search on this site).

Quote:
4) Is the maximum expandable amount of RAM 2GB on this system as well, or is it more, or is it less?
Yes, 2 GB max.

Quote:
5) Is there any way to upgrade the crappy 0.3 MP camera on the A90n to a better resolution cam/webcam, or should I not waste my time, and instead just get a better USB webcam?
The 0.3 mpx cam is fine for basic stuff, and from what I've read, not much difference between that and the 1.3 mpx, as far as resolution/quality. You can however order the 1.3 mpx cam and parts from Dell, and replace the 0.3. There are good instructions on this site for that.

(#3) Old

Default Re: The Dell Mini9 vs. The Dell Vostro A90n - 04-27-2009, 10:47 PM

...I asked because elsewhere on this forum, somebody had made a comment about how the chipset and/or graphics are different between the Vostro and the Mini9.

Has this been confirmed as being true or false yet?
  (#4) Old
Super Moderator

Default Re: The Dell Mini9 vs. The Dell Vostro A90n - 04-27-2009, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImEatingSeeds
...I asked because elsewhere on this forum, somebody had made a comment about how the chipset and/or graphics are different between the Vostro and the Mini9.

Has this been confirmed as being true or false yet?
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=7189

(#5) Old

Default Re: The Dell Mini9 vs. The Dell Vostro A90n - 04-28-2009, 04:43 AM

I initially ordered the a90 and then subsequently canceled my order when Delloutlet was running the 15% off for a Mini 9... I had a heck of a time canceling my order with dell .. what a pain!!!!

« New Buyer | Video Out Problems under OSX »