Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default How do I install Windows 7 on current Ubuntu machine - 04-26-2009, 12:58 PM

Hi guys,
I have trawled the forums looking for a way to install Windows 7 onto my new dell mini 9 running Ubuntu. Although I have found various discussions on the subject I think that they are all related to upgrading from Windows XP and not Ubuntu. I tried http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/inst...eps-t4292.html but when i get to the stage of installing virtual clone drive I get stuck as it asks me to choose an application to launch it? Should I choose an application? If so which one?
A detailed explanation of all the steps to convert a system running Ubuntu to windows 7 would really be appreciated.
Ubuntu is really alien to me at the moment.
Many thanks in advance!
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default Re: How do I install Windows 7 on current Ubuntu machine - 04-26-2009, 01:10 PM

Boot from the Windows DVD, select the "Advanced" option, delete the existing Ubuntu partition and tell it to install in the free space. I assume you want to replace Ubuntu entirely.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default Re: How do I install Windows 7 on current Ubuntu machine - 04-26-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4
Boot from the Windows DVD, select the "Advanced" option, delete the existing Ubuntu partition and tell it to install in the free space. I assume you want to replace Ubuntu entirely.
Thanks for the reply.
I do not have a windows dvd, i have windows 7 beta on a usb stick. You are correct in thinking that i wish to get rid of Ubuntu entirely. I hope this makes sense.
  (#4) Old
Administrator

Default Re: How do I install Windows 7 on current Ubuntu machine - 04-26-2009, 02:00 PM

I assume you are booting the USB stick. Same thing.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#5) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to MoInSTL Send a message via MSN to MoInSTL Send a message via Yahoo to MoInSTL
Default Re: How do I install Windows 7 on current Ubuntu machine - 04-26-2009, 02:22 PM

Are you stuck at the virtual drive step?

Studio 15 1558| Black Chainlink| i5-520M, |4GB RAM |500 GB HD@7200 |ATI HD 4570, 512K|Backlit|9 Cell|Web Cam|Windows 7 Professional x64
  (#6) Old

Default Re: How do I install Windows 7 on current Ubuntu machine - 04-26-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoInSTL
Sorry for the delay in replying.
Yes, thats correct, I'm stuck at the point that it asks me which program to use to install the virtual drive. I'm used to a .exe file just loading up on windows based software.
Sorry for sounding like an idiot, i just dont want to knacker my new mini 9!
Thanks
  (#7) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to MoInSTL Send a message via MSN to MoInSTL Send a message via Yahoo to MoInSTL
Default Re: How do I install Windows 7 on current Ubuntu machine - 04-26-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philjohno
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoInSTL
Sorry for the delay in replying.
Yes, thats correct, I'm stuck at the point that it asks me which program to use to install the virtual drive. I'm used to a .exe file just loading up on windows based software.
Sorry for sounding like an idiot, i just dont want to knacker my new mini 9!
Thanks
For Virtual CloneDrive on a Windows machine, open Windows Explorer, right click on the drive letter it created and choose Mount. Then you can browse to the ISO and it will come up with all the folders & files in the virtual drive.

Dunno how to do that in Ubuntu-- but you get the idea.

Studio 15 1558| Black Chainlink| i5-520M, |4GB RAM |500 GB HD@7200 |ATI HD 4570, 512K|Backlit|9 Cell|Web Cam|Windows 7 Professional x64
  (#8) Old

Default Re: How do I install Windows 7 on current Ubuntu machine - 04-26-2009, 05:42 PM

I think that is the crux of the problem!
I know how to do it on a windows machine, unfortunately, like you, I haven't got a clue on Ubuntu.
Anyone?
  (#9) Old
Super Moderator

Default Re: How do I install Windows 7 on current Ubuntu machine - 04-26-2009, 06:23 PM

You may want to post it in the Ubuntu forum for more visibility.

(#10) Old
Retired Mini user

Default Re: How do I install Windows 7 on current Ubuntu machine - 04-26-2009, 06:27 PM

How big is your SSD? You could temporarily expand the ISO contents to a subfolder in Ubuntu?

In terminal:
mkdir ~/mount_dir
sudo mount -o loop windows7.iso ~/mount_dir

Replace windows7 with the name of the actual ISO file, mount_dir with the folder you create.

Getting an iPad

« Plug-in network not working | Wireless won't work without Mini being plugged in... »