Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#11) Old

Default Re: How do I install Windows 7 on current Ubuntu machine - 04-26-2009, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfKeeper
How big is your SSD? You could temporarily expand the ISO contents to a subfolder in Ubuntu?

In terminal:
mkdir ~/mount_dir
sudo mount -o loop windows7.iso ~/mount_dir

Replace windows7 with the name of the actual ISO file, mount_dir with the folder you create.
I have a 16Gb SSD.
Unfortunately the rest of your reply went straight over my head..................I really am an Ubuntu virgin!
  (#12) Old

Default Re: How do I install Windows 7 on current Ubuntu machine - 04-28-2009, 01:49 PM

when i junked my ubuntu and booted from my win7 usb stick, i dont recall ever needing to load a virtual drive.. :? when does that step come up?
  (#13) Old

Default 05-27-2009, 08:13 PM

I am having the same problem, in that I am trying to install Win 7 RC on Ubuntu as well (to replace). However, I am getting the following error message:

Intel UNDI, PXE-2.1 (build 082)
copyright (c) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation

For Realtek RTL8101E/8102E PCI-E Ethernet Controller v1.08 (080408)

PXE-E61: Media Test Failure, check cable
PXE-MOF: exiting PXE ROM
j

can anyone tell me what this means, and how to correct? I poked around the 'tubes, and found reference (about the error message) to the harddrive possibly being loose or unseated, but when I go back to Ubuntu, the mini works just fine. thanks,
  (#14) Old
Administrator

Default 05-27-2009, 08:22 PM

The messages there are from the Ethernet boot loader. That they come up at all means that the Mini did not find a bootable device before the Ethernet loader. What are you booting the Win7 installer from? Restart the Mini, press 0 at the initial screen to select a device, and select your Win7 source (DVD or USB).

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#15) Old

Default 05-27-2009, 08:38 PM

Thank you for replying so quickly! I did all that, actually. I am have a USB boot that I created following install-win-7-via-usb-in-4-easy-steps-t4292.html-st=0&sk=t&sd=a

it is an 8GB drive, and the mini's SSD is 16GB. I went in and changed the boot order... still get the same error. just in case, I tried all usb ports. I even went back and reformatted the flash drive and went through all steps again. no luck.
  (#16) Old
Administrator

Default 05-27-2009, 08:43 PM

That tells me that the USB drive is not properly created as bootable. I suggest you ask in the thread you cited.

Steve
  (#17) Old

Default 05-27-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
That tells me that the USB drive is not properly created as bootable. I suggest you ask in the thread you cited.
thank you again Steve, will do.
  (#18) Old

Send a message via Yahoo to kajdna
Default 05-30-2009, 11:41 PM

I have one piece of information that might help. I just tried installing W7 RC on Ubuntu J.J. and it failed because W7 will only read NTFS. There is NO menu choice that allows reformatting. Solution: Re-install WinXP (I don't know about Vista) and re-format the ext3 partition to NTFS, then install W7. I'm about to do that myself (on a pc) now. I will try aborting after the format prior to XP installation. . .

Binary code is as easy as:
1, 10, 11
". . .To me the meanest flower that blows can give/Thoughts that do often lie too deep for tears." Wordsworth, from "Ode: intimations . ."
  (#19) Old
Administrator

Default 05-31-2009, 12:10 AM

There certainly is a choice to reformat. You have to choose a Custom install. It may not be entirely obvious from what it shows you - I think you have to then select an "advanced" option.

Windows 7 can deal with NTFS and FAT32 (you can't install on FAT16 as far as I know.)

Steve

« Plug-in network not working | Wireless won't work without Mini being plugged in... »