Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default big misconception bout the mini 9 - 04-24-2009, 03:41 PM

the mini XP home install from dell WILL recognize 2gigs of ram. i read in numerous threads it wont. it does and will
  (#2) Old
Retired Mini user

Default Re: mig misconception bout the mini 9 - 04-24-2009, 03:47 PM

Could you point out a thread that says this?

There was an issue when the Mini 9 first came out that the *Ubuntu* versions would not recognize more than 1GB of RAM, due to a kernel issue. This problem has been since resolved through an update.

Dell will not sell you an XP loaded Mini 9 with more than 1GB of RAM due to licensing issues. You are free to upgrade it afterwards on your own, and XP will recognize 2GB of RAM.

Getting an iPad
  (#3) Old
Administrator

Default Re: mig misconception bout the mini 9 - 04-24-2009, 07:51 PM

I have seen this misconception stated several times in the forum - each time it was refuted.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#4) Old

Default Re: mig misconception bout the mini 9 - 04-24-2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfKeeper
Could you point out a thread that says this?
http://mydellmini.com/forum/installi...ation-t57.html
  (#5) Old
Retired Mini user

Default Re: mig misconception bout the mini 9 - 04-24-2009, 09:54 PM

I guess I should have been more clear. Could you point out a RECENT THREAD?

You're arguing about speculation from last September. Very few people even had Mini 9s in hand yet.

Getting an iPad
  (#6) Old

Default Re: big misconception bout the mini 9 - 04-27-2009, 12:32 AM

Hi. This is my first time visit here. There are 2 Mini9's in my family. One for me and one for my wife. Both have the XP OS and 16 GB SSD. We both like the mini9 except for its slowness. My big misconception was that if I upgraded the 1GB RAM, to 2 GBs the mini9 would run faster, but it seems to run even slower. Is there something I missed here - a new setting perhaps? I bought the 2GB RAM boards directly from DELL. Please clue me in before I give DELL H_LL. Much Obliged....
  (#7) Old
Guru

Default Re: big misconception bout the mini 9 - 04-27-2009, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellerious
Hi. This is my first time visit here. There are 2 Mini9's in my family. One for me and one for my wife. Both have the XP OS and 16 GB SSD. We both like the mini9 except for its slowness. My big misconception was that if I upgraded the 1GB RAM, to 2 GBs the mini9 would run faster, but it seems to run even slower. Is there something I missed here - a new setting perhaps? I bought the 2GB RAM boards directly from DELL. Please clue me in before I give DELL H_LL. Much Obliged....
Welcome.

More RAM generally doesn't make a computer faster, unless you had too little to start with. However, in the Mini 9, there are a couple speed tweaks that are easier with more RAM.

Since the SSD is slow on writes, you don't want to be needlessly writing to it. So, disable virtual memory and set temp files to be written to a RAM disk. Here's some info on a few tweaks to improve SSD performance under Windows XP. Partition alignment is another tweak to improve performance, but it's easiest to do during a complete reinstall.

Good luck.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit

« screen resolution at 1024x768 ?????????? | New Buyer »