Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default New to mydellmini - 04-23-2009, 04:30 AM

Hello.

I have been reading a lot of posts and finally registered. I order my mini 9 tonight. I got Obsidian Black. Wanted the Red but just couldn't get myself to pay extra money for red ( I have a pink inspiron 1525,no extra for the pink at that time ) I have debated and debated over purchasing the mini as I really don't NEED it but I ordered it.
My mini will come with 1GB and 16GB hard drive. XP. I am in no way proficient at hacking a computer but think I can handle adding more memory. I plan to use this as a day planner, for email, surfing for the most part. My desktop holds most of my photos and music so I think 2GB in my mini will be plenty for my needs. (If anyone feels differently about that I am open to suggestions)
Anyway I am excited and I have learned a lot reading on this site. Thanks to everyone who shares good information.
  (#2) Old
Guru

Default Re: New to mydellmini - 04-23-2009, 12:46 PM

Welcome.

2GB of RAM can be found incredibly cheaply these days. So, it's an obvious choice for a first upgrade, but you might be surprised by how well the Mini 9 runs with less.

And if you decide to upgrade your SSD eventually, installing a new SSD on the Mini 9 is just as easy as installing RAM. The difference is that the SSD has two screws securing it, while the RAM module has two spring-loaded tabs. Copying the OS over or reinstalling it from scratch is harder than the physical part of the upgrade.

Anyways, I hope your Mini 9 comes quickly, so that you can begin enjoying it.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old
Super Moderator

Default Re: New to mydellmini - 04-23-2009, 12:59 PM

Welcome aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbi123
I have debated and debated over purchasing the mini as I really don't NEED it but I ordered it.
I have to laugh, as it was the same situation here. Only, I now use it more than my laptop...especially since it is so very portable.

Alienware M11xR2 - Core i5 1.06 - 4 GB - 250 GB HD

Triple Boot Guide - 10v RAM Upgrade Videos - mechdrew's OSX guides
  (#4) Old

Default Re: New to mydellmini - 04-23-2009, 03:36 PM

Who knows I might become a hacker before it's all over with

I have a sneaking suspicion I WILL use it more than my laptop !

I am writing down all the good tips I have seen so I will be prepared when it gets here. (like turning of the cap locks key !)

Can't wait !

« How did I do? (new guy!) | Finally... »