Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default some storage questions - 04-22-2009, 07:56 PM

Hello everybody!

I'm new to this forum and as well to the mini. I'm not that good in computing, so please don't kill me if the following questions are very stupid ops: As I'm from Germany and not a native English speaker there might (ok, there WILL ...) be some mistakes in my writtings; but I'm always ready to learn, so don't hesitate telling me.

I just received my lovely little Mini 9 (8GB SSD, 1GB RAM, Win XP Pro) 2 days ago. It looks great and and caused some "ooh"s and "wow"s already
Right now im a little bit unhappy with windows. Trying to slim windows i was running the wise disk cleaner to get rid of un-/installer files, which saved me about 400MB. Good advice from this forum so far, but unfortunately Windows started to expand itself again downloading stuff for another 900MB. After that it deleted about 400MB again. The last 20min I was able to watch my free storage decreasing and increasing of several hundred MBs.
Is there a way to stop that up and down? Is it safe to disable the update function?

The next thing I wondered about is the amount of free storage:
My SSD shows up with a storage of 7.1GB (i was unlucky there ). Right now there are 6 files on the C-Drive: Windows (2.1GB) , Programms (1GB), Documents and Settings (150MB) and the DELL, mini and Intel files which content i moved to a SD card. And then there is the reserved recovery storage with about 350MB, which makes a total of approx. 3.6 GB, leaving 3.5GB free. But in the properties of the SSD are only 2.4GB shown to be free. Where is the missing storage? Is there a way of recovering it?

Greetings from Europe
Matthew
  (#2) Old

Default Re: some storage questions - 04-22-2009, 08:21 PM

the missing storage:
is it the page file?
check out control panel>system>advanced tab>system performance>advanced tab. With 1GB RAM, there might not be much need for a page file. Reduce it to a smaller number or even zero.

is hibernation on?
control panel>power options>hibernate tab. turning off hibernation should save some room.

let me know if you need more help.
  (#3) Old

Default Re: some storage questions - 04-22-2009, 08:54 PM

you were right, the page file was set to a minimum of 1.5GB.
I reduced it to 200MB. I just had a bad feeling to cut if off completely.
Hibneration was off already.
That means over 1GB more storage, thanks a lot!
  (#4) Old
Retired Mini user

Default Re: some storage questions - 04-22-2009, 08:58 PM

The last Mini I bought from the Outlet had the swap file set by Dell to 300MB for an 8GB drive/1GB of RAM. I left it at 300MB and it seems to be performing just fine.

Getting an iPad
  (#5) Old

Default Re: some storage questions - 04-22-2009, 10:42 PM

I was under the impression that with an SSD that you don't need to use the paging file.
  (#6) Old
Administrator

Default Re: some storage questions - 04-22-2009, 11:07 PM

The SSD is not the key, but rather how much RAM you have. If you have 2GB of RAM you can get away without a pagefile.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#7) Old

Default Re: some storage questions - 04-25-2009, 10:24 PM

Hi Matthew.
I don't know anything about your question but as to your English it's better than many who were born and raised in America
Hope you are enjoying your mini. Mine should be here in about 15 days. Can't wait.

Bobbi
  (#8) Old

Default Re: some storage questions - 04-29-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hounter
..Is it safe to disable the update function?..
yeah, as long as your computer runs fine now, you shouldnt "need" to ever update anything. most of the patches and fixes address issues that are usually just annoyances, things that we can learn to live with if need be. but like i said, if all your essentials are functioning normally and space is your primary concern, you can disable the automatic updates. i do that on mine.
  (#9) Old

Default Re: some storage questions - 04-29-2009, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ade099
Quote:
Originally Posted by hounter
..Is it safe to disable the update function?..
yeah, as long as your computer runs fine now, you shouldnt "need" to ever update anything. most of the patches and fixes address issues that are usually just annoyances, things that we can learn to live with if need be. but like i said, if all your essentials are functioning normally and space is your primary concern, you can disable the automatic updates. i do that on mine.
I think this is a bad idea. Given how many "critical" updates Microsoft releases for each "Patch Tuesday", I would definitely not disable the update function. Delete the update rollback if you need the space but I think updating Windows is a must.

Dell Mini 9 | 2 GB RAM | 64 GB STEC SSD | 16GB RiData SDHC
Triple Boot: Windows 7 | OSX 10.6 | XP
  (#10) Old

Default Re: some storage questions - 04-29-2009, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfruit
I think this is a bad idea. Given how many "critical" updates Microsoft releases for each "Patch Tuesday", I would definitely not disable the update function. Delete the update rollback if you need the space but I think updating Windows is a must.
hahah you must work for microsoft. hahh jk. but yeah, hounter, if you dont feel comfortable with completely disabling the updates, then i guess deleting the rollback should work as well.

« restore img file | First Steps »