Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default External DVD drive or 16gb SDHC card? - 04-22-2009, 04:00 AM

Well, I am about to place my order for my ssd and ram and the final piece needed to install OSX which is either an external DVD drive or a SDHC card + usb adaptor. The reason I don't list an actual USB flash drive is because I figure the SDHC would be much more useful as extra storage in the SD reader than a USB drive that I would have to remember to bring along with me.

My current plan is to buy the combo at the bottom of this page with the DVD drive:

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?p=FEM32GHDL&c=pw

and this ram:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820104100

OR

The one of the ram/ssd combos and a cheap usb adaptor and 16gb card.

Both options come to about $150 or so shipped. So.. what do you guys and gals suggest? Will the external dvd be more useful than the sdhc card after the initial install?
  (#2) Old

Default Re: External DVD drive or 16gb SDHC card? - 04-22-2009, 04:12 AM

(#3) Old

Default Re: External DVD drive or 16gb SDHC card? - 04-22-2009, 04:14 AM

Get the Transcend 16GB class 6 SDHC model version with USB reader included package.

Black Mini 9 (free with DSL package) | 2GB Patriot RAM | 32GB RunCore | 16GB Transcend 6 SDHC | TWO internal 16GB microSDHC on USB controller | EETI Touchscreen | Windows XP
  (#4) Old

Default Re: External DVD drive or 16gb SDHC card? - 04-22-2009, 01:38 PM

Any reason for reccomending the SDHC card over the drive?
  (#5) Old

Default Re: External DVD drive or 16gb SDHC card? - 04-22-2009, 05:42 PM

The Mini 9 requires new thinking towards accessories, anything hanging off it just hobbles the portability and close-to-face screen size. I would think an external DVD drive fairly useless since most require external power to play DVD's, the single USB port barely able to provide enough power to run drive reliably. Go with a FAST SDHC card hidden within Mini.

Black Mini 9 (free with DSL package) | 2GB Patriot RAM | 32GB RunCore | 16GB Transcend 6 SDHC | TWO internal 16GB microSDHC on USB controller | EETI Touchscreen | Windows XP

« RAM for dell vostro a90 | How did I do? (new guy!) »