Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default New Girl with a New Mini 9!! Few questions! - 04-21-2009, 08:04 AM

Hey guys! First I want to say this site is awesome.. I have learned so much! I just got my previously ordered new outlet Mini 9 yesterday. I want to change the SSD and the RAM. This is my first project taking a computer apart and not just taking it to the geek squad at Best Buy But powered with youtube and you guys I'm sure I can do it.

I have an 8GB with 512 MB. I want to change this to 32/64GB and 2GB of RAM. I don't think it runs that slowly out of the box..but I have done nothing but browse the internet so far... :lol: My full size baby is an XPS 1330 so I want to get it as close to a mobile one of these as I can. I would like to use Vista which is why I think I need the 64GB (please let me know if that is incorrect), I want to put MS Office on it, iTunes, and my picture editor. Is 32GB going to be enough to run these at a decent speed? I also want to add the bluetooth dongle.

This is what I have so far on my "to get" list
I see the Runcore 32GB SSD that you guys rave about is sold out.. I saw one on ebay by Supertalent for $90..is that a good SSD and a good deal?
2GB Ram looks to be about $28 everywhere
And the $3 bluetooth dongle from ebay

Is this a good list? Sorry for all the newbie questions! Feel free to point me in the right direction; I want to order the stuff ASAP as I am on vacation this week and I have plenty of time to start upgrading...

Off to read some more!

Thanks guys!
  (#2) Old
Guru

Default Re: New Girl with a New Mini 9!! Few questions! - 04-21-2009, 08:42 AM

Welcome.

The Mini 9 is incredibly easy to upgrade. The RAM, Wifi, and SSD are all easily accessible. So, even an inexperienced upgrader like yourself should have few, if any problems. Just remember to be wary of static discharge. I doubt it'll be a problem, but it's almost the only thing that could go wrong.

I don't have any interest in SSD upgrades since they're still expensive and my Mini 9 is fast with the factory SSD, so I can't help you much there.

As for RAM, Fry's has the a good deal at the moment on Corsair laptop RAM, unfortunately the single 2GB module for is sold out online at the moment. If you live near a Fry's store, you can check its inventory. Or you could opt for the 2x2GB, but you'd have to find something to do with the extra RAM module.

Good luck upgrading your Mini.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old
Administrator

Default Re: New Girl with a New Mini 9!! Few questions! - 04-21-2009, 09:56 AM

Welcome to the forum!

The RunCore SSD is usully out of stock because it is so popular. You can order and expect to receive it within a few weeks. It is the fastest SSD available for the Mini 9, but some people are happy with the SuperTalent model.

In addition to being careful about static discharges, make sure you have the correct size screwdriver (Philips #0) for the screws that fasten the SSD. Some people find that the screw threads strip when they try to remove the screws, Apply firm downward pressure on the screwdriver and you should be able to remove the screws,

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#4) Old

Default Re: New Girl with a New Mini 9!! Few questions! - 04-21-2009, 10:20 AM

Thanks guys for the warm welcome! Y'all might turn me into a tech geek. :lol: So far my insomnia has had me order the Kingston 2GB DDR from Ebay and the BT dongle.

I was going to stop by home depot this a.m. before the gym and get a mini screwdriver kit... so thanks so much.. I will put that Phillips 0 on my list.

MDD has the best discount for the 64GB Runcore and its the best one so I will wait on that one. I know how to follow directions..lol! I have watched crucial's and jkkmobile's youtube videos about changing the SSD and the RAM and I'm amped that I can do this. I've got some more questions..

1.) So after I alter the SSD I will have to reinstall everything or will it still be there? I know this is a dumb question; but I am a newbie and I don't want to screw anything up. I'm not too worried because I haven't really done anything to it. If I want to put Vista on it; can I load it with the Vista CD that came with my XPS via USB CD drive?

2.) Looks like the RAM mod will be first (since I already ordered it).. will the Mini automatically recognize this or do I have to do something to it..

3.) I've been screwing around in your Vista forum and its greek to me at this point... I feel like I'm a reasonably intelligent person.. but then I started reading about modifications and vlite versions of Vista and my head starts spinning and I'm wondering if I should even bother...but I've grown to love Vista so if it is gonna be reasonably difficult.. I don't mind.. but if it's a whole UNDERTAKING..not so much

And the least important question of them all.. where can I get a fabrixcases.com coupon code..lol.. I fell in love with one of them. But $55 is 30% of what I paid for the mini.. maybe a little high.
  (#5) Old
Administrator

Default Re: New Girl with a New Mini 9!! Few questions! - 04-21-2009, 12:03 PM

You will need to copy the contents of your current SSD to the new one. Thankfully, the RunCore's USB connector makes that easy. See this post for details.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#6) Old

Default Re: New Girl with a New Mini 9!! Few questions! - 04-21-2009, 12:50 PM

whatever SSD you order, make sure it's the right physical size (half minipcie (50mm)) or you'll have to make some serious case modifications.
  (#7) Old
Guru

Default Re: New Girl with a New Mini 9!! Few questions! - 04-21-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabulosity
1.) So after I alter the SSD I will have to reinstall everything or will it still be there? I know this is a dumb question; but I am a newbie and I don't want to screw anything up. I'm not too worried because I haven't really done anything to it. If I want to put Vista on it; can I load it with the Vista CD that came with my XPS via USB CD drive?
The SSD holds all the Windows OS files and all your user files. Your new one will be 100% blank. It won't have Windows, programs, or anything. As for loading Vista, the correct way to do it would be to buy a upgrade disc (your Mini is coming with XP, right?)
Quote:
2.) Looks like the RAM mod will be first (since I already ordered it).. will the Mini automatically recognize this or do I have to do something to it..
Some computers are noisy about RAM upgrades on the first boot (i.e. "Configuration changed. Press Enter to continue."). And some have strange limitations, like some Asus netbooks which have hardware that supports 2GB of RAM, but the default Linux install is limited to 1GB for some reason. But my Mini 9 quietly recognized and began using the new RAM.

Also, I expect the first boot after upgrading will be slower, as the computer tests the new RAM once. So, don't worry if it spends a longer time at the "Dell" screen.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#8) Old

Default Re: New Girl with a New Mini 9!! Few questions! - 04-21-2009, 05:04 PM

Quote:
if you make a ghost copy of your current ssd onto a runcore (via the mini usb port on it), everything should be intact..and it should take a considerably less amount of time. if you wanna restore the vista that came with your 1330, it might work, might not. i'm not sure how dell makes those cds, whether it checks against installed hardware, etc..but whatever cd you decide to install with, a usb cd drive should work just fine. keep in mind there are some issues with drives not being recognized..:/ the LG slim seems to be the one that keeps popping up as being reliable.

Quote:
as long as you buy the right kind of RAM, the mini should detect it without any problem.

Quote:
3.) I've been screwing around in your Vista forum and its greek to me at this point... I feel like I'm a reasonably intelligent person.. but then I started reading about modifications and vlite versions of Vista and my head starts spinning and I'm wondering if I should even bother...but I've grown to love Vista so if it is gonna be reasonably difficult.. I don't mind.. but if it's a whole UNDERTAKING..not so much
vliting was only required for people installing vista and win7 and stuff onto the smaller 4 or 8G ssds. come to think of it, i dont even know if either of those 2 os's would fit on the 4G. but if you're planning to upgrade to a larger ssd, i wouldnt bother with vliting. it's not difficult to do, but would be a waste of time if you're gonna scrap all that work soon down the road anyways
  (#9) Old

Default Re: New Girl with a New Mini 9!! Few questions! - 04-22-2009, 02:44 AM

I am running Vista on a Runcore 32 gb SSD, and it has been working just fine (knock on wood). I used Vlite to remove only a few things like language packs and most drivers. It's not too terribly difficult, but you just need to be careful of what you remove. I purchased Vista as an OEM disk from Newegg.
  (#10) Old

Default 05-25-2009, 12:47 AM

Hey guys!

So I'm performing my surgery today on the Dell mini. I changed the RAM and the SSD. I did not put the XP on the SSD because I want to try to put Vista on it. When I turn it on;it says NTLDR is missing.. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart. I connected my USB CD drive with the Vista disk in it...

HELP!

« Wireless won't work without Mini being plugged in... | Mini on way, question about OSX. »