Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#11) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to MoInSTL Send a message via MSN to MoInSTL Send a message via Yahoo to MoInSTL
Default 05-25-2009, 12:57 AM

Did you choose boot from CD in the BIOS?

Edit: What BIOS version are you running?

Congrats on doing the upgrades btw.

Studio 15 1558| Black Chainlink| i5-520M, |4GB RAM |500 GB HD@7200 |ATI HD 4570, 512K|Backlit|9 Cell|Web Cam|Windows 7 Professional x64
  (#12) Old

Default 05-25-2009, 01:09 AM

Hi! Thanks... I don't consider me doing anything right until it starts up...lol..

It says PhoenixBIOS?

I go to the "boot tab" and hard drive has the little plus sign by it... I see CD/DVD/CD-RW; but I don't see how to select it... Im retarded I thnk.
  (#13) Old

Default 05-25-2009, 01:11 AM

Hmmm maybe this jinky CD rom I got from ebay isn't working.. I changed it to CD/DVD drive in the Bios ad nw it says "Media test failure; check cable"
  (#14) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to MoInSTL Send a message via MSN to MoInSTL Send a message via Yahoo to MoInSTL
Default 05-25-2009, 01:17 AM

How frustrating! I don't have a DVD drive so I can't really help. I know I have read posts that say to make sure USB legacy is Enabled in the BIOS, but I can't remember why!
It won't hurt anything to enable it so give it a shot.

Studio 15 1558| Black Chainlink| i5-520M, |4GB RAM |500 GB HD@7200 |ATI HD 4570, 512K|Backlit|9 Cell|Web Cam|Windows 7 Professional x64
  (#15) Old

Default 05-25-2009, 01:18 AM

Oh shoot! It looks like its trying to work!!! YAY!!! I see the Vista background!!
  (#16) Old
Super Moderator

Thumbs up 05-25-2009, 01:22 AM

YAY! Did you change a setting or just restarted?

(#17) Old

Default 05-25-2009, 01:34 AM

My "YAY" was premature! It wants a Drivers Disk; I inserted the disk labelled "driver and utilities" and nothing.
  (#18) Old
Super Moderator

Default 05-25-2009, 01:39 AM

Did you change any settings?

Did you try a complete shutdown?

I haven't used the driver disk, does it have to be opened for launching?

My gut says it's something simple since it was reading the disk.

EDIT: Make sure your Mini is plugged into AC power, choose Enable for Legacy USB in BIOS, try another USB port.

(#19) Old

Default 05-25-2009, 04:38 AM

Hey Mo... I finally got it working!!!

A few issues... first it wouldn't recognize the LAN adapter, nor the wireless adapter.. so I searched here and someone had the same problem. So I went to Dell's website and installed them both for the Mini 12.

Problems Now
Vista is taking up too much space! How do I clean it up some? Do I have to do a complete reinstall?

I don't like the resolution.. it seems too big for the screen! Is there anyway to reduce it? It says it's on the lowest when I go to the control panel.

Now can I install office 2007 without a problem? I think I have 18.5 GB left and that has to hold my itunes and office... but it runs pretty fast. Just like my XPS.

I'm so proud of myself. Yes it took like 7 hours.. but at least I have something to show for it!! YAY!
  (#20) Old
Super Moderator

Smile 05-25-2009, 02:46 PM

Cool beans! To trim Vista you need vLite. And yes, it requires a re-install. But you have done the hard part and have some drivers. There are dozens of posts on what to trim. There are probably several here. vLite is very intuitive. You can create an ISO and burn it to your DVD or boot off a USB stick. It may be easier for you to burn one.

For the resolution, look in Device Manager. You are probably missing a driver. Try Windows Update and see if it finds it for you. Also, what BIOS version are you running? The older BIOS has display issues. DO NOT use Dell's web site to update your BIOS as it has bricked some Mini's. You want somms DOS utility on a USB stick. You may not have to update your BIOS. It just depends on which one you have.

Edit: Do a custom install of Office and don't load what you don't use (e.g. PowerPoint).

Step-by step guide for vLite. Scroll to the bottom for driver links. Not sure how recent they are.
http://rickatnight11.com/?p=71

« Wireless won't work without Mini being plugged in... | Mini on way, question about OSX. »