Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Question About Installing Mac OSX! - 04-21-2009, 06:58 AM

This I have two questions:

1.) I currently have a 5 license retail copy of Leopard, all 5 licenses have been used, can I still use this Leopard disk to make a copy out of and install it on my Mini 9?

2.)Instead of installing a SSD can i just install a regular 1.8" drive?

Thanks Guys!
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Question About Installing Mac OSX! - 04-21-2009, 09:58 AM

1. If all 5 licenses have been used, it would be a violation of the license to install the OS on a sixth system.

2. No. There is no place to mount a 1.8" drive in the Mini 9.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Question About Installing Mac OSX! - 04-21-2009, 04:04 PM

Thanks for the Response, So I am basically going to have to buy another license to install it in the Mini.
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Question About Installing Mac OSX! - 04-21-2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocktfan
Thanks for the Response, So I am basically going to have to buy another license to install it in the Mini.
if you uninstall one of the 5, that wouldnt breach your licence agreement, right?
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Question About Installing Mac OSX! - 04-21-2009, 07:10 PM

I think if you uninstall Leopard from one of the other machines, I don't think that it frees up one of the licenses.
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Question About Installing Mac OSX! - 04-21-2009, 10:05 PM

The way that most OSes work (including OS X) is that you need to own the same number of licenses as you have installs. For example, I have a MBP and an iMac that came with Leopard. Therefore, my OS X Family Pack disk could be installed on those computers, without using up a license. However, I have an iMac G4 that came with Panther, so to install Leopard on it would use up a license. Of course, since OS X doesn't have any sort of DRM, unlike Windows, you don't have to worry about voiding a license key. I have a friend who installed his single-user copy of Leopard on 150 computers. He works for a business, and their site license of OS X had not arrived yet, so he simply used his disk to install on all of the computers. This restriction is only for those of us that want to keep it as legal as possible, but since installing OS X on a non-Apple computer is technically a breach of the terms of service, keeping the number of installs and licenses equal is merely a formality. Most of us here love Apple, hence why we Hackintosh, and would rather not gyp them out of the (quite reasonable) cost of OS X licenses. Does that make sense?

Dell Mini 9 - Obsidian Black | Mac OS X 10.5.6 | 2 GB CAS3 Kingston HyperX RAM | 64 GB RunCore SSD | BIOS A04 | BlueTooth | 1.3MP Webcam

« MSIWindosx386 10.5.6 install | Mini 9 - Win XP - Anyone put Truecrypt on it? »