Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default New Mini RAM and SSD - 04-17-2009, 05:37 PM

Hi,

I will receive my Mini 9 in a few days, I will get the one with 8 GB SSD and 1 GB of RAM, I will update it to 2 GB of RAM and a 32 GB SSD, do you now if this one from Crucial is good enough

http://www.crucial.com/eu/store/partspe ... SSDN100P00

I live in Portugal, so I have to buy it from someplace that ship to my country, is there any other place in the www where I can buy SSD?

About the RAM, in the Crucial website they have two types of RAM, the only difference between the two is that one is DDR2-667 and the other one DDR2-800 but the price is the same, should I buy the faster one?

http://www.crucial.com/eu/store/listpar ... 209%20(910)

thanks,
mbarros
  (#2) Old

Default Re: New Mini RAM and SSD - 04-17-2009, 05:50 PM

Hey, I don't know about the SSD because the ones I find in Portugal are a bit too expensive and there isn't much choice - couldn't even find a PCIE model...

However, that one you selected from Crucial is compatible but the read/write speeds aren't the best around..

I'd love to get one of these but I don't know anyone going to the USA soon and that price in Europe would be impossible to get.

About the Ram, I ordered my 2GB Ram upgrade from chiptec.net (18.90€).
  (#3) Old

Send a message via AIM to weber72 Send a message via Skype™ to weber72
Default Re: New Mini RAM and SSD - 04-17-2009, 06:01 PM

My Mini is still on a FedEx truck somewhere, but I have been doing a fair amount of research on these forums while waiting for it to arrive. It seems like if you want to upgrade your SSD, you should stick with something made by SuperTalent or Runcore. The benchmarks for the Crucial SSD's haven't been as good, and it seemed (at least to me) that people who purchased them weren't as happy as people who went with one of the other two brands.

Crucial RAM, on the other hand, should be just fine. I haven't seen anyone complaining about theirs.

Just my observations...does anyone disagree?

Dell Mini 9 (Alpine White) -- 16GB SuperTalent SSD -- 2GB Kingston RAM -- 8GB Sandisk Ultra II SDHC -- 1.3MP webcam -- Windows 7 RC / Linux Mint 7 RC
  (#4) Old

Default Re: New Mini RAM and SSD - 04-17-2009, 11:27 PM

Is there some e-store that ship the SSD to Portugal?
And how about the speed of the crucial one, is it slow than the one that come with the mini?
And what about the RAM shoul I go with the DDR2-800?

Questions, questions, questions : )
  (#5) Old

Default Re: New Mini RAM and SSD - 04-18-2009, 12:48 AM

About the ram, the faster it is in default the better timmings will be when used in retro-mode (533, 667) speeds.

i.e. A CL5 DDR2 800 Ram will be able to squeeze much tighter timmings at 667 (@ SPD) because of the headroom it has whereas a regular CL5 DDR2 667 ram won't have that capability as that is already the highest it should run.

« at key | First post - 2 Mini 9's on the way »