Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default How did I do? (new guy!) - 04-16-2009, 04:34 AM

So I finally bought myself a dell mini 9 tonight! Totally pumped! After scouring the dell outlet site for days I finally grabbed one. First stroke of luck tonight was finding a $100 Dell Gift Card on ebay for $80 buy it now + Live.com cashback. Then I grabbed a Black Mini 9 with ubuntu, 4gbssd, 1gb ram, and 1.3mp cam for $189 before tax. This was very close to my "ideal" setup as the only other thing I wanted was BT but thats easily fixed. Total after tax was $200.34 which works out to $173.14 when you figure in the live.com cashback and the $20 I saved on the gift card.

So now I just need to pick up an SSD and 2gb ram stick and OSX. I can get OSX through work for $96+ tax or I can get the "Mac Box" with iWork and iLife for $129 (retail OSX price). Part of me is thinking I should go for the mac box as its a great deal but I don't know if I'll use anything included besides keynote and pages... even still it may be worth it. Ideas?

Also, any deals out there for SSD/Ram combos? I know there was a deal on the 32gb super talent but that went from something like $85 up to $98 shipped which is still reasonable. I think I might wait a couple days.

What about bluetooth? I am thinking of just grabbing the dealextreme dongle for $3 or so and seeing if I use it... worst case I can always order the parts for the internal if the dongle becomes a hassle.

Sorry to ramble on but I'm really excited!
  (#2) Old
Guru

Default Re: How did I do? (new guy!) - 04-16-2009, 11:33 AM

Welcome to the forums.

I bought a similar model from the Outlet. Anything under $200 for a factory refurbished netbook with a 1 year warranty seems like a good deal to me.

I can't really advise you on SSDs (I'm still waiting for price drops) or OSX (no interest). But Fry's has had some great prices on RAM after rebate recently (My Mini's 2GB module came from them).

As for Bluetooth, if I ever decide to add it to my Mini, I'll probably go with the internal Dell module, because I'd prefer a polished solution. But if you can get a USB Bluetooth receiver for a pittance, it might be worth a try.

I hope you enjoy your Mini. Once it ships, since Dell can be slow updating their tracking, go to Fedex and choose "Track by Reference" and input your Dell order number as the reference number to get the fastest tracking info. Some info might help with the waiting.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old

Default Re: How did I do? (new guy!) - 04-16-2009, 01:05 PM

Thanks for the tip about the tracking info!

I ended up grabbing a usb BT dongle for $3.63 shipped from ebay. How they can turn a profit on these things I may never understand! Its the one that seems to be fairly popular and apparently is plug and play. Hopefully it works under OSX.
  (#4) Old

Default Re: How did I do? (new guy!) - 04-16-2009, 01:16 PM

the sub-$200 outlet deals were pretty much the final straw that made me empty my wallet. i haven't regretted it :lol:
  (#5) Old

Default Re: How did I do? (new guy!) - 04-16-2009, 01:30 PM

Saltatory - Same here! It was just too tempting! The only thing holding me back was that I couldn't find a black one with 1.3mp cam for cheap so I played the "refresh dell outlet all night" game and finally came across one. Lucky too because I was about to grab a White barebones model without cam for $10 less and I would have been kicking myself for that. The deals are definitely out there you just need to be patient.
  (#6) Old

Send a message via AIM to weber72 Send a message via Skype™ to weber72
Default Re: How did I do? (new guy!) - 04-16-2009, 01:58 PM

Reflex,
Thanks for the tracking tip! I was wondering why I never got shipping info from Dell. My mini departed Nashville at 3am this morning...!

Dell Mini 9 (Alpine White) -- 16GB SuperTalent SSD -- 2GB Kingston RAM -- 8GB Sandisk Ultra II SDHC -- 1.3MP webcam -- Windows 7 RC / Linux Mint 7 RC
  (#7) Old

Default Re: How did I do? (new guy!) - 04-16-2009, 11:37 PM

Dell's site says it ships but fedex doesn't show it yet. I'll check again later tonight. It'd be awesome if I got it by the sat but thats wishful thinking!
  (#8) Old

Default Re: How did I do? (new guy!) - 04-18-2009, 05:42 PM

It came today! Ubuntu is pretty neat. I'm updating it now to hold me over till i get my new ssd/ram and my "mac box" comes in along with either a slim dvd drive or sdhc card and adaptor to install OSX.

The keyboard isn't too bad. I really like the feel...almost as good as my thinkpad. Even with only 1gb ram its pretty good and hulu seemed to stream fine if I didn't run it fullscreen.
  (#9) Old

Send a message via AIM to weber72 Send a message via Skype™ to weber72
Default Re: How did I do? (new guy!) - 04-18-2009, 06:44 PM

Good deal. FedEx says I'm supposed to get mine today as well, which is good, because I'm sick of waiting.

That's good to hear about the keyboard...most people seem to like the US INTL version better, but I think personally I'll be just fine with the standard one (although I may have to remap the apostrophe key and semicolon key...)

I'm thinking about putting Ubuntu, Linux Mint, or Windows 7 on mine (the Outlet only had XP's available at the time). Perhaps I'll have to dual-boot.

Dell Mini 9 (Alpine White) -- 16GB SuperTalent SSD -- 2GB Kingston RAM -- 8GB Sandisk Ultra II SDHC -- 1.3MP webcam -- Windows 7 RC / Linux Mint 7 RC
  (#10) Old

Default Re: How did I do? (new guy!) - 04-18-2009, 06:52 PM

The US INTL keyboard is of interest to me. I may pick one up along with the internal bluetooth down the line. I'm going to give the std keyboard a month before I decide if I hate it. the semicolon key and apostrophe key appaear to be the same size so I may physically switch them and remap them in the OS.

« External DVD drive or 16gb SDHC card? | New to mydellmini »