Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Help please mac install keeps hanging - 04-14-2009, 01:45 AM

I have a brand new retail copy of OS x 10.5.6,external DVD and 16g ssd. I have tried the install eight times and always hangs at either around one hour remaining or once with 10 minutes remaining. Could have apple put something on the new disk to stop me? Please help ,I am so frustrated, I would pay somebody locally to help me. Colchester,Ct.
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Help please mac install keeps hanging - 04-14-2009, 08:15 PM

You are installing this on a Mini 9, right? (Just checking - some people are running into problems attempting to install to a 10 or 12 - which you can't do).

We need some more information about which method you are using (you're using what model of external DVD drive?) and at what step in the process you are failing and what your immediate previous step was before this failure occurs. I'm assuming you're using the DellEFI method, correct?

http://mydellmini.com/forum/how-to-inst ... t3925.html

It could be that you have a DVD drive issue but I can't say until I know more. Have you attempted this with a different external drive by any chance? You may not have one, but just asking.

And in response to your concern, no, Apple did not do something to the DVD to stop you from installing to the Mini 9.

Black Dell Mini 9 | OS X 10.5.6 | 64GB STEC SSD | 2GB RAM | Bluetooth : [disabled] | USB BIOS Legacy support : [Disabled] | BIOS A04 | DellEFI Version: 1.1
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Help please mac install keeps hanging - 04-14-2009, 09:43 PM

It is a dell mini 9 , the DVD drive was purchased with the mini at dell.
I followed the gizmodo directions, I tried the link above also but could not follow that one as well,too many options and I am not that smart.
I get all the way until the progress bar for the osx installation and then hangs at "time remaing 1 hr 8 minutes or the time left would be a little different.
I have not tried a different DVD it appears to work??
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Help please mac install keeps hanging - 04-15-2009, 07:57 PM

It may be the DVD drive. Do you have another model that you can try? If not, you might want to consider using the USB drive installation method.

I humbly recommend reading the guide linked above. It's really not as intimidating as it may seem. It just takes a little bit of patience as you go through the process. I was able to install OSX on my Mini 9 yesterday using the Windows-only USB option. In addition to the guide, I had access to this forum, and was able to use the search function and get quick answers to little hiccups that popped up along the way. It's now working perfectly, and was worth the effort.

Try another DVD drive if you can get one. If not, give the USB method a shot. You can do it!

Mini 9 | BIOS A05 | OSX 10.5.8 | 2GB RAM | 16GB RunCore | BT | 1.3MP Cam
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Help please mac install keeps hanging - 04-16-2009, 01:36 AM

Thanks for your help,I have read the guide (awesome directions), but I need a guide just for me and my hardware( don't mean to sound selfish,I am just not that bright) perhaps I shouldn't have tried this , but I have a MacBook pro and an iMac and love this osx, so when I head this could be done , well you know the rest. I don't understand how it could be the DVD player when it boots off a cd and gets as far as the time left screen. The USB method seems like more steps and more downloads and I was trying to avoid that.
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Help please mac install keeps hanging - 04-16-2009, 01:22 PM

Sounds like it could actually be the DVD itself. Are you sure it's clean and scratch-free? Maybe try making a copy and using that?
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Help please mac install keeps hanging - 04-16-2009, 04:00 PM

During Installation it does a DVD check. Do you let that go all the way through?

How much ram do you have?

Mini 9 MacBook Aspen White
Runcore 64GB | 2GB RAM | ATP 16GB C6 SDHC | 1.3 Webcam | Bluetooth | OSX 10.5.6 | Fusion w/Windows XP | CrossOver | DellEFI 1.2A5 | BIOS A04 | 77Whr Battery

Will install OSX for Food
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Help please mac install keeps hanging - 04-16-2009, 04:46 PM

It is a brand new out of the box dvd from the apple store, I guess it could be the dvd.
I have 2g ram and checked to make sure the ram was there.
I let the dvd check run its full course.
This time I got to 12 minutes left and it has been stuck there for three hours.
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Help please mac install keeps hanging - 04-16-2009, 05:26 PM

Is there anybody near me? Colchester, CT.
  (#10) Old

Default Re: Help please mac install keeps hanging - 04-17-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterdoodle
Thanks for your help,I have read the guide (awesome directions), but I need a guide just for me and my hardware( don't mean to sound selfish,I am just not that bright) perhaps I shouldn't have tried this , but I have a MacBook pro and an iMac and love this osx, so when I head this could be done , well you know the rest. I don't understand how it could be the DVD player when it boots off a cd and gets as far as the time left screen. The USB method seems like more steps and more downloads and I was trying to avoid that.
Roosterdoodle, here's the specific directions I wrote out for another forum member describing exactly what I did to install using the equipment you have - that's the approach I took also. I just edited it down to the external DVD install and added my comments.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6168#p51024

Here's another user's experience:
http://mydellmini.com/forum/how-to-dell ... 56003.html

Now that said, if you can't get it to work after a couple of tries using these instructions, it is possible that the DVD player is the problem - some people have been unsuccessful using the external DVD drive sent by Dell - that's why several of us have mentioned this in response to your challenge. It's not clear why this happens.

I used the Samsung Drive USB-Powered Model SE-S084B which has two USB plugs to power it. If your drive has an AC adaptor to power it, then make sure you plug it in. Power to the drive has been an issue. Others have discussed having to unplug it from the Mini and then plugging it back in to successfully install. If it doesn't work, I would recommend returning the Dell drive and getting one that others have had success with.

Some forum members' experiences with drives:
http://mydellmini.com/forum/which-exter ... &sk=t&sd=a

http://mydellmini.com/forum/dell%CA%B9s ... 99s10.html

http://mydellmini.com/forum/cheap-exter ... -t690.html

http://mydellmini.com/forum/which-exter ... &sk=t&sd=a

Black Dell Mini 9 | OS X 10.5.6 | 64GB STEC SSD | 2GB RAM | Bluetooth : [disabled] | USB BIOS Legacy support : [Disabled] | BIOS A04 | DellEFI Version: 1.1

« Video editing | Hello! »