Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Is now a good time to buy? - 04-12-2009, 02:49 PM

Hey guys,

I'm new here... about to buy a mini9. I'm located in Australia which means that I don't have any options (other than color -- black or white) for the mini. It comes with 1gig ram and 16gig ssd.

Now I'm aware that US folks can get 2gigs ram and 32gig ssd, but that doesn't worry me too much as I can easily upgrade them myself if necessary.

My question is, is now a good time to buy? Is there any word of Dell updating the mini9 in the near future? I saw on these forums that some guy was cut about how much Dell had changed the mini9 since the original release, but I couldn't find any info about what's been changed (if anything)... can anyone help me out here?!

Thanks,
-X
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Is now a good time to buy? - 04-13-2009, 01:11 AM

Yeah whats been changed? Just the hardware options i think (ram, ssd)
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Is now a good time to buy? - 04-13-2009, 01:30 AM

If you want to play the waiting game, you will wait forever...buy now and enjoy. I get my mini in 2 days!
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Is now a good time to buy? - 04-13-2009, 01:42 AM

Yeah it may have just been some fellow complaining about the added ram and ssd. I seem to recall him saying something about the layout of the components but that doesn't really make much sense for them to change that. Wish I could find the thread

For anyone else considering buying a mini9, you might want to do so before the end of April... it looks very much like they're going to be discontinued. See this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6245&p=54636#p54636

-X
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Is now a good time to buy? - 04-13-2009, 07:18 AM

I don't know if it means anything, but the Dell Mini 9 was not in the catalog that Dell sent to my house today. (I just received my Dell 9, and looked to see the price they were offering in the catalog.)

They did list the Dell 10, but as we all know it doesn't do OS X.....
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Is now a good time to buy? - 04-13-2009, 12:12 PM

Thanks for that -- yet another piece of evidence suggesting they're discontinuing it.

Regardless, I'm buying mine now. I'm really not *too* fussed about PineView -- yes integrated gpu and memory controller might save space / make it run cooler / cost less, but there's a damn good chance it won't be available in 9"

Even ignoring that, I can't really justify waiting for it -- not like there are any major bugs in the first generation Atoms.

Ordering tomorrow
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Is now a good time to buy? - 04-13-2009, 11:45 PM

No problem. If they were smart they would just simply make a new Dell 9 with the same GPU but with a faster processor for HD video issues.

« Directing My Documents to SD card? | Video STILL Choppy »