Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Best method to install XP on new SSD - 04-11-2009, 01:53 AM

Hi , I'm brand new here. My new Mini 9 is on it's way from the Dell outlet. I will be upgrading the ssd with the ST16. I have done a bunch of searching but can't quite get a feel for whether I should expect good results installing the Dell XP from a thumbdrive (after making it bootable, etc. using one of the guides). I am willing to buy a good usb DVD drive if necessary but don't want to spend the money if I can get good results cheaper. I just want to have what I need on hand when it arrives.

Would just like to hear some thoughts on this. I know the answer is in another thread, but I haven't quite found the exact answer to my question.

Thanks for the help
  (#2) Old
Retired Mini user

Default Re: Best method to install XP on new SSD - 04-11-2009, 03:26 AM

Do you have a spare internal CD or DVD drive from a desktop/tower/workstation laying around? You can get a $20 USB to IDE/SATA cable and use that if you want to go cheap. I did my XP and OS X installs using that and it was flawless.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... de&x=0&y=0

Getting an iPad
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Best method to install XP on new SSD - 04-11-2009, 03:22 PM

I don't have a spare drive at the moment. Is the USB flashdrive method too unreliable? Is it very dependent on brand of flash drive, etc.? Just trying to be prepared to hit the ground running when my mini arrives.
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Best method to install XP on new SSD - 04-11-2009, 04:00 PM

i did an nlited XP Pro install from a sandisk micro cruzer 2 gig thumb drive using this guide. It went flawlessly and I was very happy BUT it does take forever. The transfer of the files from the USB to the SSD takes place over USB 1.0 connection so it will take a few hours. Get up and do some house cleaning
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Best method to install XP on new SSD - 04-30-2009, 08:27 PM

ive done 2 xp pro istalls to 8GB mini 9s via usb usin a 4GB corsair flash voyager. both installs were 40-50 min

« Need some help installing OSX via 2 USB... | new to the forum »