Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Help me decide which system to keep! (for OSX install) - 04-11-2009, 01:06 AM

I accidentally bought 2 Mini 9's, so I need to decide between the following units:

1) Cherry Red with a 16GB SSD/1GB RAM ($240.16 shipped)
2) Onyx Black with a 8GB SSD/512MB RAM ($202.94 shipped)

I plan on upgrading to 2GB of RAM for either system (it's cheap and easy, so why not?), but I guess what I'm trying to figure out is if I should go with the black unit and get the 32GB SuperTalent SSD, or if the 16GB unit will be big enough.

I definitely want OSX, and I proooobably want to have either Adobe Photoshop (500MB) or Adobe Illustrator (733MB) on there.

What's the reliability on these SuperTalent drives like?
Am I gonna be disappointed with 16GB?
What would you do if you were me?

Black Mini 9, 32GB SuperTalent SSD, 2GB of RAM, OSX 10.5.6
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Help me decide which system to keep! (for OSX install) - 04-11-2009, 01:08 AM

16gb will not be enough for you, so if you're upgrading memory and ssd the best way is to keep the cheap one 8-)

(#3) Old

Default Re: Help me decide which system to keep! (for OSX install) - 04-11-2009, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGSilva
16gb will not be enough for you, so if you're upgrading memory and ssd the best way is to keep the cheap one 8-)
Thanks for the advice.

How big was the OSX install on your machine?
I'm a graphic designer and photographer who uses OSX at home and at work, and I'd like to use my Mini 9 for noodling around when I'm on the road.

Black Mini 9, 32GB SuperTalent SSD, 2GB of RAM, OSX 10.5.6
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Help me decide which system to keep! (for OSX install) - 04-11-2009, 03:20 AM

Something else to think about...

The black one will drive you crazy with smudges or scratches. I have not seen the red one but I would bet that it would be less prone to showing them.

Mini 9 MacBook Aspen White
Runcore 64GB | 2GB RAM | ATP 16GB C6 SDHC | 1.3 Webcam | Bluetooth | OSX 10.5.6 | Fusion w/Windows XP | CrossOver | DellEFI 1.2A5 | BIOS A04 | 77Whr Battery

Will install OSX for Food

« Mac OS | Shopping for Mini 9 »