Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Cloning an SSD ?? to a second Mini with same configuration? - 04-08-2009, 04:41 PM

Hi All... I am new to the Dell mini community and have a question. I am expecting to recieve shortly my Dell mini 9 with OS X pre installed - 2meg mem, 32 GB SSD, web cam etc.. (Ebay). I am a casual Mac user, ( I use an iMac at work) and would like to know how I can clone a copy of this netbooks HD while its still pristine, on to a 2nd Dell mini 9 running ubuntu with the same configuration.(2 megs memory, 32 SSD) Is it possible by using Super Duper? I saw some of the tutorials using the 2 USB thumbdrives.. but would like to know if cloning would be quicker/easier?

Is there a way to clone the image to a DVD and install from an external DVD? looking for some advice..

Thanks in advance!
newman73
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to bmcclure937
Default Re: Cloning an SSD ?? to a second Mini with same configuration? - 04-08-2009, 05:16 PM

I would check the OSX section of the forums.

You can clone the SSD using SuperDuper of CarbonCopyCloner (CCC)... this will create an exact bootable image.

Procedures for doing this are outlined in the OSX forum

 Mini 10v  | 2Gb RAM | 320 Gb HDD | Ubuntu 10.04 | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI .8.4RC1 | Chameleon Bullet Theme | BIOS A05 | USB Wake : OFF | USB Legacy : ON | No BlueTooth
Meklort's Blog | NBI Google Code Page | osx.mechdrew.com -- the best OSX installation guides
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Cloning an SSD ?? to a second Mini with same configuration? - 04-08-2009, 11:12 PM

You could use http://clonezilla.org/ to boot from a usb drive and clone the whole ssd to another usb drive or a sdhc card and then restore it on the other mini.

Maybe super duper can do the cloning but I don't think you'll be able to restore it unless you already have os x installed on the other mini but then why would you need to clone it right?

(#4) Old

Default Re: Cloning an SSD ?? to a second Mini with same configuration? - 04-09-2009, 12:32 AM

I see your point....I may need the mac OS on the drive to get the Super Duper restore to work..
as I said earlier, I'm new to the whole Dell Mini 9 community.

would I necessarily need to clone the SSD to a USB drive by using clonezilla?
could I use a portable USB HD that I have lying around? and if so what preparation whould I need to do to that hard drive if any, to make it work?

sorry to be such a noob...

Newman73
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Cloning an SSD ?? to a second Mini with same configuration? - 04-09-2009, 01:24 AM

I think it would be easier to use a small usb drive just to boot clonezilla and to store the image you can use your external hd.
If that's not an option you need to make your external hd bootable: http://clonezilla.org/clonezilla-live/liveusb.php

« Buying your mini 9 from tescos? | How can i tell if i have wireless »