Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Where can one get someone *else* to install OS X on a Mini? - 04-04-2009, 07:54 PM

I *need* to watch my Seattle Mariners suck again this year. It's like a terrible itch that I gotta scratch no matter how bad they're playing. Pitying me may commence... now!

To that end, I wanted to get a Mini to watch the baseball video feeds from the season subscription I have at mlb.com.

Linux Mini? I can get a 32GB ssd and 2GB of RAM for the same price as a 16GB ssd and 1GB of RAM with XP.

But what I really want is to shove OS X on the Mini (and happily go watch my crappy favorite team) - and for that I figure the Linux version is more cost effective.

Except I don't have the patience or knowledge for installing OS X on the Mini. I. Just. Don't.

So I was wondering where one may find someone who would consider doing this for me in exchange for money.

Caveat: I am in CANADA (Vancouver, BC to be precise), not the US.

And if there aren't any Linuxians able to install OS X (or reinstalling OS X back onto a Linux Mini would be mind-blowing), I guess I could go with an XP-option install, too, and hope it would be easier to reinstall if, God forbid, something happened.

I thought of 'craigslist' but figure I'd have better luck asking in a more focused forum.

As this is a Beginners Questions forum, please forgive if this type of post is forbidden and chalk this up to desperation and the fact that, as a follower of the Mariners, I obviously have little pride left anyway :roll:

BW
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Where can one get someone *else* to install OS X on a Mini? - 04-04-2009, 08:13 PM

Honestly, this installation could not be any more simple. If you have an external DVD that is recognized by the Mini you will have no difficulties.

Find the DellEFiBoot disk then make an ISO out of it.

Follow the directions for a DVD install from that point forward. It is very easy.

Mini 9 MacBook Aspen White
Runcore 64GB | 2GB RAM | ATP 16GB C6 SDHC | 1.3 Webcam | Bluetooth | OSX 10.5.6 | Fusion w/Windows XP | CrossOver | DellEFI 1.2A5 | BIOS A04 | 77Whr Battery

Will install OSX for Food
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Where can one get someone *else* to install OS X on a Mini? - 04-04-2009, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STiMULi
Honestly, this installation could not be any more simple. If you have an external DVD that is recognized by the Mini you will have no difficulties.

Follow the directions for a DVD install from that point forward. It is very easy.
This --> http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/how-to- ... t3925.html scares me.

Terribly.

I am a wimp with questionable taste in baseball teams.

I admit it.

UPDATE: OK. I hit the button at Dell.ca and a cherry red Linux baby w. bluetooth's on its way to me for CAN$514 + taxes. Let the anxiety begin!!

And I'm not sure Part 'D' would work on a Linux Mini... . Would it? Maybe if I knew if it did, I could hyperventilate a bit less.
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Where can one get someone *else* to install OS X on a Mini? - 04-05-2009, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty Woo
Quote:
Originally Posted by STiMULi

This --> http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/how-to- ... t3925.html scares me.

Terribly.
Follow the DVD installation procedures in this guide:

http://gizmodo.com/5156903/how-to-hacki ... -x-netbook

Runcore 64GB | 2GB RAM | ATP 16GB C6 SDHC | 1.3 Webcam | Bluetooth | OSX 10.5.6 | Fusion w/Windows XP | CrossOver | DellEFI 1.2A5 | BIOS A04 | 77Whr Battery

(#5) Old

Default Re: Where can one get someone *else* to install OS X on a Mini? - 04-08-2009, 01:17 AM

I simplified the installation instructions and wrote them down for another member to explain the steps I took when installing onto a Linux Mini 9 using a DVD player. It really was quite simple.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6168#p51024

Black Dell Mini 9 | OS X 10.5.6 | 64GB STEC SSD | 2GB RAM | Bluetooth : [disabled] | USB BIOS Legacy support : [Disabled] | BIOS A04 | DellEFI Version: 1.1
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Where can one get someone *else* to install OS X on a Mini? - 04-08-2009, 04:37 AM

Very good, very good.

When the unit gets here, I'll try it out (if I can find an external DVD player to borrow by then). I've bought my retail copy of OS X and am now on stand-by.

Unfortunately, it didn't occur to me that this is a 4-day week (I'm soooo not up on Christian holidays) and the unit's being shipped 'ground'... whatever that means. I'm crossing my fingers it'll get to my work address by 4PM on Thursday.

I also found a Linuxian at work who would love to fiddle with the unit if this whole OS X thing sort of blows up in my face and I temporarily restore Linux until the panic subsides. In some ways she's more excited than I am and insists on opening the box and playing with the raw netbook before I get a chance to take it home to futz around.

She is unknowingly my #1 go-to person now... . And I apparently have four uninterrupted days to do this in (you know, in case this 'should take about an hour to install' scenario doesn't pan out exactly like that

I'll check back in when my exploit is done.

Thanks a huge bunch.
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Where can one get someone *else* to install OS X on a Mini? - 04-09-2009, 06:12 AM

Thanks to the instructions on this site, it really isnt too difficult to do the OS X install. I used Part A of the guide (2 USB flash drives) and it took just over an hour to install and do all the updates. You can do it! Keep your Linux friend on standby just in case . If you cant find an external DVD drive, you can pick up an 8GB USB flash drive at NCIX on Broadway and Pine for ~$20.
Good luck!
slacker
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Where can one get someone *else* to install OS X on a Mini? - 04-09-2009, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker
If you cant find an external DVD drive, you can pick up an 8GB USB flash drive at NCIX on Broadway and Pine for ~$20.
slacker
Actually... I'm just about to grab a 32GB Patriot Xporter USB flash drive at the site for $80 (then take another $20 off for a write-in rebate for a cost of $60 + taxes). Maybe I'll pick it up at the store and save on shipping and get it sooner. Depends on the weather tomorrow after work.

I'm glad to hear about the success of the 2-usb drives method because I asked around and nobody I know has an external DVD drive and I really don't feel like spending more $$ on something I really don't think I'd use but that one time. I may have to resort to that method.

I was really hoping the Dell would come by tomorrow at my work. I have a sinking feeling the order's been processed but the unit hasn't even hit the mail yet since I haven't received a 'order shipped' email and the website account's not giving me a ship date.

Nuts. Now I'm all exciting and have to just sit on my hands the whole long weekend... .
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Where can one get someone *else* to install OS X on a Mini? - 04-09-2009, 07:33 AM

Do not trust the Dell site or the delivery of email to indicate the status of your order. I am on Mini #6 and not one time has the website been any help at all. 2 of them I have received weeks ago and the Dell Site still has not shown them ready for shipping.

Call Dell and enter your order number in the automated access and you will. many times get many specific enough information as to give you an idea of the status. For me, two of the times I have called the automated service this has not been enough and I have had to make contact with Dell/India to speak with "Thomas" and Veronica" about my orders.

Good luck on your delivery. There is always someone here to help you when it arrives.

(#10) Old

Default Re: Where can one get someone *else* to install OS X on a Mini? - 04-23-2009, 05:17 AM

1. The Dell actually just came today. That took a while.

2. You have to understand... I've never owned (voluntarily) a Windows machine. I work on one at my job but leave the IT guys to futz with it. So I'm very unWindowsian.

I've tried following http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlaVbZxY2vA - zollotech's video but I don't have my own Windows machine or VM. The only windows machine I have access to is a floater laptop from work and I can't access the 'net with it so I have to sort of figure out how to get the syslinux-3.63 stuff over from my Mac (and go through to make sure the USB drive is FAT32, etc., etc.). No. Believe it or not, none of my close friends have Window machines (at least that live nearby).

This is still a stumbling block for me. The lovely tutorial doesn't really address this issue and I'm not even sure if the laptop can do everything since it's very possible the IT guys have locked a lot of stuff down to prevent fiddling.

3. The OS X (my 10.5.4 DVD also came today) is safely housed on a 32G USB stick on it's own partition. I have another partition in the stick and I *thought* I'd done the whole syslinux-3.63 thing correctly but when I plug the USB stick into the Dell and run through, I get an "Operating System not found" when I try to boot from the stick. I've tried rebooting a few times and, yes, I've made sure what's suppose to be enabled is enable and what's suppose to be disabled is disabled on the Dell booting screen. I think, in theory, copying the OS was going to be the most time consuming, anyway, from the sounds of the tutorials and instructions and I got *that* part fine.

But in my case, it's fiddling with the first part.

I've thrown about 2 hours at just this part. I'm done. Time and frustration is worth money (and my Mariners aren't sucking yet so I really just want the Dell to work so I can watch mlb.com). I really prefer not getting friends involved in this if only because it's not like *they'll* know any better what to do and I don't want to bother them.

So, instead of blowing another few hours or so doing something I'm not enjoying or getting anything out of, I ask my original question: where does one find someone willing to just 'make work'?

I'd rather toss another couple of $$ someone else's way to either get the USB with syslinux-3.63 formatted properly or just do the whole thing since I'm sure my 32GB USB stick does have OS X ready to go.

Heck, I'd even consider just buying a USB stick with the first part on it that's been tested on someone's Dell.

Suggestions?

« Sleep Mode with OS X | Hi all new to the forum and linux.....and facing problems »