Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#21) Old

Default Re: Where can one get someone *else* to install OS X on a Mini? - 05-02-2009, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty Woo
..Please be prepared for future whines about not being able to replace it
welllll, before we let that germ grow, we'll nip it in the bud! when you get your kybd, make sure you check out the last snippit in holme's post here..

replacement-keyboard-more-normal-t1402.html

his is the first post, but just check out his instructions underneath his pictures.
  (#22) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Where can one get someone *else* to install OS X on a Mini? - 05-02-2009, 12:14 PM

No, mine is not the first post, but I edited the first post to include the needed information.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#23) Old

Default Re: Where can one get someone *else* to install OS X on a Mini? - 05-02-2009, 04:25 PM

oh whoops! i stand corrected ^_^
  (#24) Old

Default Re: Where can one get someone *else* to install OS X on a Mini? - 05-07-2009, 03:05 AM

Joining us in progress... I'm shipping this baby back to Dell and they'd better take it :P

A few days ago a clicking sound started coming from the speakers and it's just getting worse. Tales of woe (and why I'm convinced it's a hardware and not software condition available here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=7780 and here: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=7738 .

You know what thaaaaat meaaannnnsss... I have to wait to get a new unit and I get to reinstall OS X.

I need a martini just for the thought of it.

Will report back when the new machine's up and running with OS X.

Should be easier the 2nd time, right :roll:
  (#25) Old

Default Re: Where can one get someone *else* to install OS X on a Mini? - 05-08-2009, 11:16 PM

[quote=Betty Woo]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ade099
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Betty Woo":1odz9n65
The third is "not liking some of the punctuation button positions on this keyboard." :lol:
lol..there are many threads on this site that deal with getting a new kyboard (seems like the us-intl is the favorite) to replace the stock. dell doesnt always have them on hand, but i havent read about anyone who's placed an order for one, not receiving it (i got mine and the installation was a snap - and i absolutely LOVE it compared to the stock).
oh, and congrats on getting osx on your 9! i may hafta hit you up for some help in the near future
After talking to half the world, it seems, through the Dell.ca phone number, I now have a US-Intl keyboard replacement coming my way.

The standard one is just so... weird and unintuitive.

Please be prepared for future whines about not being able to replace it [/quote:1odz9n65]

Just got it. They sent me the WRONG one. It's exactly like the stock. I told the guy multiple times I needed the US-International keyboard because I wanted to make sure he understood.

Apparently not.

And it's three days since I had to submit an email to Dell requesting a CRA number for a return and I got an email back saying someone was going to call me within 24-48 hours.

You gotta be kidding me, right? It's now the end of Day 3 of simply trying to get a CRA number to return the unit.

Now they'll get the unit and the keyboard back.

Oi :roll:
  (#26) Old

Default Re: Where can one get someone *else* to install OS X on a Mini? - 05-08-2009, 11:26 PM

bleh. seems like you've become another statistic - one with bad dealings with dell's customer service sorry to hear that. did you give the guy the correct part number?
  (#27) Old

Default Re: Where can one get someone *else* to install OS X on a Mini? - 05-09-2009, 01:17 AM

Quote:
bleh. seems like you've become another statistic - one with bad dealings with dell's customer service sorry to hear that. did you give the guy the correct part number?
I called customer service. "Can I have your order number, please?" "I don't have it handy. I'm phoning from work." "We can only access the database with either the order number or customer number." "You're kidding, right? You can't track my purchases through *my name*?" "No, [start of some scripted blah-blah]" "OK. Listen. You guys also sent me the wrong type of keyboard. Can you pass me to the person who deals with spare parts, at least?" "Hold on [scripted bye-bye speech]" "Hi. I need a replacement part for my Dell Mini." "We're closed. Please call again Monday." It wasn't even 4PM PST.

So. Now I have to wait until Monday to get a CRA and a new keyboard (this time I'll insist on a model number and if it matches what's on the keyboard's invoice at least I'll know).

I think Dell should freakin' well install OS X on my replacement machine at this point :twisted:
  (#28) Old

Default Re: Where can one get someone *else* to install OS X on a Mini? - 05-10-2009, 10:53 PM

is this the model number you ordered?

U061H
  (#29) Old

Default Re: Where can one get someone *else* to install OS X on a Mini? - 05-10-2009, 11:09 PM

Quote:
is this the model number you ordered?

U061H
I didn't order by model number. I ordered using the name of the keyboard - US-International (and telling the guy a lot of times it is not the stock keyboard). Since there's no model numbers for this on the Dell.ca website, I had to actually trust the Dell guy to understand 'US-International keyboard' and 'NOT THE STOCK ONE THAT COMES WITH THE DELL' .

My bad :lol:

The part number is M958H|93894, description: Kybd,61,US, Eng, S-PTG,QH,WIN, according to the USP Supply Chain Solutions pack slip (I never did get an official Dell invoice).

At least I now what is the stock keyboard model number to avoid next time :roll:
  (#30) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Where can one get someone *else* to install OS X on a Mini? - 05-11-2009, 12:48 AM

I doubt the phone reps have any clue which keyboard the Mini comes with or doesn't. You really needed the model number.

When I ordered, I had an email within minutes that listed the item name in detail. Didn't you?

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10

« Sleep Mode with OS X | Hi all new to the forum and linux.....and facing problems »