Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#11) Old

Default Re: Where can one get someone *else* to install OS X on a Mini? - 04-23-2009, 01:30 PM

my suggestion - find someone who'd be willing to spend some time walking you through the whole process step by step on any video chat client. being able to see what the guide is doing getting feedback from the guide on what you're doing, all in real time, is invaluable. unfortunately, i havent done this myself so i cant offer
  (#12) Old

Default Re: Where can one get someone *else* to install OS X on a Mini? - 04-24-2009, 08:00 AM

Hi..I just successfully did the 2 USB method and it worked great. Let me know if you need help, i can walk you through it.
  (#13) Old

Default Re: Where can one get someone *else* to install OS X on a Mini? - 04-24-2009, 10:07 PM

1. I sweet-talked the IT guy at work into getting excited about this project. So *he* got the Windows portion of this project done for me :-)

2. First attempt: got as far as OS X start up screen. Spinning wheel and then an 'interdit' symbol. So research on the forum. Removed the plastic SD card. Restarted. Got as far as the OS X screen... but no spinning anything. Shoved the plastic SD card back in (mainly because I didn't want to lose it). Restarted. Same thing.

3. Research on forum. This time, started installation in 'safe mode' (-x). Works (so far).

I am now at the point in the installation where I have to reformat the hard drive to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Being 32GB, it'll take about 90 minutes (I'm now down to 32 minutes).

Once I finish up that part, I have to update OS 10.5.4 (the retail version I bought) to 10.5.6 with another USB drive I brought with me.

Will keep up to date with how things are going.

I must say, though. If this OS X thing doesn't work out, I'm still mightily impressed by the Linux distribution

I'd be happy with either operating system.

And both play my baseball games video feeds. Hurrah!

UPDATE: so the install took a long time after the partitioning, etc. The install went all the way to the end and then I got a 'can not install on this machine' (or something). So I turned it off, removed the Windows booting USB since I figure it's moot now, and restarted with the OS X USB drive still plugged in and the machine should be looking for it as I told it to go look for the USB drive before the hard drive for the operating system. Now I have a lovely and frightening 'non-system disk. Press any key to reboot' error message when it looks for OS X on the USB drive. OK. Turn off, remove USB, reinsert USB, turn on, same message.

Yeah. That's another two hours waiting around :::sigh:::. At least I'm doing this a work (discretely under my desk) and getting other things done.

The OS X drive is lighting up when it's giving me the old 'Non-system disk...' though.

Lovely.

So now I have the hard drive formatted to GUID partition and OS Extended (Journal) and Linux ist kaput. Crap.

I'll have to take it home, read some more of the forums and play around with it a bit more.

Honestly... I'd rather have thrown $$$ at someone and had them to it :::sigh:::.

My Mariners better be worth it this year, s'all I'm sayin'.

UPDATE UPDATE: OK. The thing is done. Frustrating. But done. Yeah!

Still... if anyone knows where one may find someone to do it, that would be a good end to this thread :-)
  (#14) Old

Default Re: Where can one get someone *else* to install OS X on a Mini? - 04-25-2009, 03:12 PM

There is a good end to the thread!

You found you!

Now you are someone that can install OSX

Honestly, it does take patience because of the time it takes to load and the message that you get at the end but I have had success each time I have added OSX to a machine. If you have to do it again you will know what mistakes not to make and it will go better.

So now if someone else asks can "someone else" install OSX for them it can be you

Mini 9 MacBook Aspen White
Runcore 64GB | 2GB RAM | ATP 16GB C6 SDHC | 1.3 Webcam | Bluetooth | OSX 10.5.6 | Fusion w/Windows XP | CrossOver | DellEFI 1.2A5 | BIOS A04 | 77Whr Battery

Will install OSX for Food
  (#15) Old

Default Re: Where can one get someone *else* to install OS X on a Mini? - 04-25-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty Woo

UPDATE UPDATE: OK. The thing is done. Frustrating. But done. Yeah!

Still... if anyone knows where one may find someone to do it, that would be a good end to this thread :-)
Congratulations!
  (#16) Old

Default Re: Where can one get someone *else* to install OS X on a Mini? - 04-25-2009, 06:13 PM

Thanks everyone for the welcome and the encouragement.

Of course the first thing running through my head is "what size of SD card would tide me over for a while".

The second is "how the hell do I get rid of the background and bezel on the Leopard dock when it's on the right side like I like it." My iMac is still happily humming away in Tiger or Panther or whatever 10.4 was called and I had a nice app that did that. Unfortunately, it didn't make the move up to Leopard. I want my desktop space nice an clear, darned it.

The third is "not liking some of the punctuation button positions on this keyboard." :lol:

The fourth is "where can I get a discrete sticker or skin that has a nice modified 'Dell' logo that reads 'iDell'... .

Guess these are all for the more focused forums now.

Maybe this install will be a good omen for my Mariners this year :roll:

Time to go play!
  (#17) Old

Default Re: Where can one get someone *else* to install OS X on a Mini? - 04-27-2009, 03:15 AM

Quote:
The third is "not liking some of the punctuation button positions on this keyboard." :lol:
lol..there are many threads on this site that deal with getting a new kyboard (seems like the us-intl is the favorite) to replace the stock. dell doesnt always have them on hand, but i havent read about anyone who's placed an order for one, not receiving it (i got mine and the installation was a snap - and i absolutely LOVE it compared to the stock).
oh, and congrats on getting osx on your 9! i may hafta hit you up for some help in the near future
  (#18) Old

Default Re: Where can one get someone *else* to install OS X on a Mini? - 04-30-2009, 07:59 PM

so is there anyone willing to do an instalL i do not hav the time or means to do so. if i were to get someone to do this is it possible to make a ghost image of a osx machine? i would hate to have a have someone do it twice
  (#19) Old

Default Re: Where can one get someone *else* to install OS X on a Mini? - 04-30-2009, 11:34 PM

I will do it for $50 IF you provide all the equipment, software and/or licenses to me. I will add a second Dell provided OS for an additional $25. I would only consider doing any of this if you provided an additional SSD other than the one that came with the computer. The SSD would need to be a 16GB or greater and not be a Crucial or equivalent. I will do no minimal installations, however I will run Monolingual to shrink the 16GB installs. Second and Third OSes require a licensed copy of VMWare. No dual/triple boots. There will be no exceptions for anything other shrink wrapped commercial software except for Dell provided OSes. Windows installs require the COA to be intact on the bottom of the computer.

I will install the new SSD, load the OSX and test it. I will then remove and repackage it. Then I will ship you the computer with the original SSD in the computer and you will need to install the OSX SSD when you receive it. (This is to keep Apple happy - I want no litigation for installing OSes in computers)

If you supply the parts you must pay all costs plus $50.

If I order the parts and software you must pay all costs plus $100. This includes shipping, taxes, and any other vendor fees to include the cost of the products.

Either way I would want the $50/$75/$100/$125+ up front.

US only

No warranties except those provided by the equipment vendors. OS crashes that require reloads will cost the same amount as the original install costs to include shipping both ways.

If you are interested PM me and I will send you additional information and then we can talk over the phone. I have sold many of these to private buyers.

I am honest and I do not rip people off.

If someone wants to do it for less or will do more for the same amount then choose them.

This is not an advertisement as much as it is a presentation of my willingness to help others with something added for my time.

Mini 9 MacBook Aspen White
Runcore 64GB | 2GB RAM | ATP 16GB C6 SDHC | 1.3 Webcam | Bluetooth | OSX 10.5.6 | Fusion w/Windows XP | CrossOver | DellEFI 1.2A5 | BIOS A04 | 77Whr Battery

Will install OSX for Food
  (#20) Old

Default Re: Where can one get someone *else* to install OS X on a Mini? - 05-01-2009, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ade099
Quote:
lol..there are many threads on this site that deal with getting a new kyboard (seems like the us-intl is the favorite) to replace the stock. dell doesnt always have them on hand, but i havent read about anyone who's placed an order for one, not receiving it (i got mine and the installation was a snap - and i absolutely LOVE it compared to the stock).
oh, and congrats on getting osx on your 9! i may hafta hit you up for some help in the near future
After talking to half the world, it seems, through the Dell.ca phone number, I now have a US-Intl keyboard replacement coming my way.

The standard one is just so... weird and unintuitive.

Please be prepared for future whines about not being able to replace it

« Sleep Mode with OS X | Hi all new to the forum and linux.....and facing problems »